No hearth on gas logs

There was no hearth on this fireplace with gas logs. I have not been able to find any manufacturers recommendations. It would seem like there should be some hearth. Is there some type of common recommendation for this or is it up to the manufacturer?

DSCN0473.JPG

Boy my eyes are not gettin’ it tonight.:frowning:

Is that glass enclosed? Some manufacturer’s of sealed units allow carpet right up to the wall. Check the install instructions.

I dont believe a GAS LOG setup needs a harth…however if it is set into a normal fireplace opening in which the logs could be removed…and wood burned within the area…then harth would be required.

But most pre-built units wont have a harth

For the record, I believe the hearth is actually the bottom of the fire box that the subject gas logs are resting on. The wood flooring covered area off the fire box and hearth would be called the hearth extension, no?

Having said that, I also believe if the unit is fixed glass sealed, no non-combustible hearth extension would be required.

Merry Christmas!

I haven’t found a glass window unit that requires a hearth extension (as Will said). I can’t tell from the picture whether or not that fireplace has a glass window. It looks like there is a little pull chain at the left, which leads me to believe that there used to be a chain screen and glass doors, indicating that it probably needs a hearth extension.

Most here do because they are approved for both solid fuel and gas fuel. I’ve even found some sellers burning wood when I arrived for the inspection in a manufactured fireplace that was not approved for solid fuel. Yet right there on the MLS as a selling feature was “wood-burning fireplace.” Just because the sellers burn wood in it doesn’t make it a wood-burning fireplace.

I don’t see why it would need a hearth extension since the logs are immoveable and there isn’t anything to fall out onto the floor.

Although not real clear, that little red thing there in the picture looks to be a gas valve (not the best place for it, but I see it quite often). Turn that valve off, disconnect the logset, cap the valve, and one now has a wood-burning fireplace, notwithstanding any manufacturer instructions to the contrary. Ergo, it needs a hearth extension.

Most importantly, though, it needs a hearth extension if the manufacturer says it does, or if the local codes say it does. And if both of those are silent, it’s kind of like carbon monoxide detectors (:wink: ) in that it’s safer to have a hearth extension than it is to not have one.

In your typical “what if” world Russel, you can justify anything.

Just because in the “what if” instances you named, it may be safer, does not mean it is something that needs to be written up, or should be.

Didn’t say it did. Your reading comprehension is falling to a level with JB.

I did say that the manufacturer’s installation instructions and/or local codes will govern, and that if they are silent, safer is better. To have you imply that safer might not be better is waaaaaaaaay beyond even you. What’s with you tonight? Not enough red boxes?

Anyway, my [Interactive Report System](http://www.abouthomes.info/files/NACHI/IRS for NACHI members.pdf) seeks to educate my Clients. Education is knowledge, and knowledge is power. I like to empower my Clients through education.

I think the whole basis of home inspections is “what if.” To me, that’s a big, big DUH! If we weren’t looking for “what if” scenarios, the worst that can happen, there probably would be no need for home inspections, and, of course, no lawsuits against home inspectors for not finding those worst case scenarios or failing to educate one’s Clients about those worst case scenarios.

Educate, educate, educate.