not exactly a notch...

Originally Posted By: tallen
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Having said that, as Home Inspectors, we should always point out any deviations from the manufacturers recommendations unless we are acting as (and being paid as) experts in a given field.

AMEN!

I would call this as needing an experts oppinion.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

jpope,

I realize that you are an experienced HI and I am just getting ready to start out.

I have always (and still do) respect your opinons, advice, etc. Prior to this thread I cannot recall you giving an answer that I couldn't make sense of.

So I have to ask, How in the heck could this be OK?

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

five.five wrote:

It's printing now, and I am going to take it home for review, oh, BTW, the BISON site linked the joist "builders guide" to a "Boise Cascade Southern Engineered Wood Products - The Builders Guide".So I guess Boise Casacade builds the joists for BISON?

http://boise.bc.com/wood/ewp/documents/alljoist/install_alljoist_complete.pdf

Page 5 addresses the cutout specifications.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

when i first looked at the pic. i thought that it was the frame work for a suspended ceiling because of the light. like maybe a reseced moke up. but at further look it definatly is wrong. esentialy they’ve reduced that secution to only have the support of the 2xs under the joists. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: rfarruggia

I have seen this before too, and it aroused my suspicions. But in mine there was ducting though the openings, the cuts were very clean and appeared factory made. A 5 year old house with no discernable sagging, so I didn’t call it out as an issue.

Originally Posted By: jpope

James D Mosier wrote:
So I have to ask, How in the heck could this be OK?

Although I do not have a degree in structural engineering, I have extensive experience with engineered support systems constructed of concrete, steel and/or lumber.

The tension and compression members (lower and upper cords respectively) have not been compromised.

Page 5 of Joe's pdf file says it all;

Quote:
It may be possible to exceed the limitation of these tables by analyzing a specific situation with the BC CALC? software.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

jeff Pope wrote:
Page 5 of Joe's pdf file says it all;

I have to agree with that, however when something looks wrong, it usually is wrong and those holes look dead wrong, in areas like this you really need to go back to the "as builts" and check that the engineer approved the modifications.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

After taking yet another closer look at the photo, I noticed that the channels are visible at the bottom of the upper chord where the web is normally glued. If these were cut in the field, one might expect to see the edge of the web visible where it was cut. If they were cut at the factory, they certainly were not lined up by the builder when they were installed. Even an hack could have done a much better job of lining up the holes. Maybe they were cut at the factory.

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Just for the record, I don?t think Jeff was wrong in his assessment of the condition being ?okay.? There are several floor joist manufactures that provide rectangular openings in the floor joist. However, these conditions are typically calculated for the specific condition. I would be concerned with saying something like this is ?okay? without looking at a lot of variables. Jeff was also correct in his reasoning of why it can work.

I consult as an expert to developers and homeowners on structural issues. One question I always ask is what the client is expecting from my report. Even if these floor joist are fine as built, it may be advisable to provide a structural fix. This prevents many potential issues in the future. If there is a floor performance issues, this condition will be blamed even if it is not the cause. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Another example: last week I made a second site visit to evaluate premanufactured trusses for 17 homes. The trusses have been on site for 9 months. The project manager was going on and on about concerns etc with the trusses. He stated that it would cost $100,000 to buy new trusses. My opinion: the trusses are structurally acceptable to be used, but I advised them to purchase new trusses. $100,000 wouldn?t cover the legal cost of a lawsuit?..

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: Monte Lunde

The factory did not send these joists to the contractor this way. The web has been cut out of these joists completely. I do not understand why the contractor did not use the knockouts to run his electrical wire.

There are fixes but I would send this picture to the manufacture and have them give you the proper fix so that there warranty will apply.

Just a thought, if these were steel I-Beam's and you cut the web completely like these joists have been cut there would be no strength in those I-Beam either.

--
Monte Lunde CCI, CCPM, CRI
Viking Construction Services Inc.

Originally Posted By: five.five

with my client yesterday, and went over the report.

We went over the joist findings, and my report reads short and sweet:

Comments: At the time of inspection, there are several ceiling joists with large holes cut in for wiring, plumbing and A/C ductwork.
Holes may be excessive, recommend builder review joist manufacturer allowable hole size, or structural engineer to review.
Repair or replace as needed.

I did include a couple of photo's, and we talked in detail about the joist.

Waiting on an angry call from the builder.