Not readily accessible

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Mike,

Now you get what I was pointing out.

You can have a duplex for two appliances, but the receptacle must be behind EACH appliance.

You can have a single, but not for two appliances.

So, if you can have a duplex, ... but wait, we have two appliances, so we must have two duplexes, one behind each appliance???

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

or a duplex receptacle for two appliances, located within" … bla bla bla … icon_wink.gif

The way I read those exceptions it would be allowed to have either:

1) A duplex non-GFCI receptacle with just one appliance connected if it's not "readily accessible" (e.g. behind a large appliance in a dedicated space).

2) A readily accessible single/duplex non-GFCI receptacle with one/two appliance(s) in a "dedicated space" as long as they are used (with the "dedicated space" applying to the appliances). So it really wouldn't need to be behind the appliances.

Couldn't resist throwing my 2-nickles in the ring ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Mike, Robert,

Now we're all on the same page.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jremas wrote:
Personally, if when doing electrical work I do not know where the homeowner will be placing storage items and appliances of that nature, then they will ALL be GFCI.

Actually, that would be a code requirement since there is no "dedicated space" for the appliances in order to allow the non-GFCI receptacles ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

jpeck wrote:
Now we're all on the same page.

Imagine that ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jremas

thanks guys, great thread. all of the input was appreciated. fantastic discussion.

I have another topic called receptacle gnd but I am hoping the "heavyweights" wait about 24 hrs before they post. Still no responses from us ordinary Joes yet.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

roconnor wrote:
Actually, that would be a code requirement since there is no "dedicated space" for the appliances in order to allow the non-GFCI receptacles ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Would it be?

Quote:
Exception No. 1: Receptacles that are not readily accessible.

I see nothing in exception 1 that requires a dedicated space.

It is exception 1 or 2, not 1 and 2.

Think this out a little, some things in the code are required to be readily accessible, now think of all the things inspectors would say make something Not readily accessible.

Those places are all spots you could put a receptacle(s) without GFCI protection.

Need a ladder?

Need to move obstructions? (no mention of the size or weight of these obstructions)

Need to climb over something?

All of these would meet the definition of not readily accessible.

Who's right? The AHJ of course!

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob Badger wrote:
Would it be?

I think the typical basement/garage wall receptacles Jeff is talking about being roughed out during construction (except for maybe a washer/dryer receptacle where there will be hook-ups) would all need to be the GFCI type per the model codes. Non-GFCI receptacles either have to be located so they are not "readily accessible" (Ex-1), or all non-GFCI receptacles have to be used for appliances in "dedicated spaces" (yes, one or the other ... not both).

If things are just being roughed out, you have no idea where something like a freezer or refrigerator might be placed so that a wall receptacle would not be "readily accessible". So unless something is shown on the plans (very unlikely) Ex-1 wouldn't be met at the time of the installation/inspection.

If there are no "dedicated spaces" for appliances being roughed out (e.g. wet bar) then Ex-2 wouldn't be met at the time of the installation/inspection.

Thus GFCI receptacles for those locations would be required ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

[PS ... I do see where you are going with that and using "ALL" may not always apply, like for a ceiling mounted receptacle for a garage opener. So I really mean "all the typical wall receptacles" where ya have no idea whats going to be there as Jeff indicated ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) ]

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?