NY Inspectors-Extension Like appraisers did in '93

Originally Posted By: bmerrell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Just an Update. NY State, Dept. of State is aware of schools suggesting their courses may meet guidelines, and have strict regs for schools already in the system with the Dept. of State. Even though there are no schools permitted to state Licensing Approved Yet, they have finalized their draft and will begin the process shortly.

As an organization, would it make sense for us to back the recommendation of a postponement of 9 months which has been posted on multiple message boards.

Perhaps as an Association we may be able to effect a postponement of 9 months to allow a smooth transition. Complaints will not benefit the members but a postponement will.

Joe F. has the bill and the Long Island 9-1 meeting gave everyone the bill. It is a long shot, but does it make sense to approach the state as an Association requesting a postponement? ...which would help, not hurt our members. The law goes into effect in 52 working days and there is no application available for the Home Inspector and no application for a school who wishes to offer a Licensing Course, and no application for a teacher who wishes to teach the course.

Just an opinion, but I have received over 40 e-mails asking it the postponement was going to be reality. Not unless we can as a group request it on behalf of the hundreds of members who will be directly effected.

The Governors Office on Regulatory Reform had made this suggestion and I am forwarding it as a recommendation for your input.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Bill,

I do not have an opinion one way or the other, really. From my understanding, the bill is dead, and with the recent resignation of the SOS, I do not know if theGovernor will buy into it or not.

This is a politically charged issue. One thing is for sure, we are damned lucky to have those in our DOS heading the effort.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Thanks Bill, icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Why should we be concerned about Appraisers icon_question.gif

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

It was abbreviated. I wanted the entire saying to read the following:

New York State Soon to Be Licensed Home Inspectors should request a postponement just like appraisers did in in 1993. I didn’t realize as you keep typing it either stops you after x no of characters or puts in the new words.

What I wanted everyone to know is that the NYS, Dept. of State has already given extensions in other license areas administratively as a historical situation. This included Real Estate Sales and brokerage 77 to 79, this included appraisers 1991 to 1993 and even security guards enjoyed a 6 month extension.

This was historical and was under a different Secretary of State so we must wait and see if the applications for Home Inspectors comes out quickly enough to allow those who wish to grandfathered the ability to obtain their license by 1-1-06 or will the state relax it's laws to not enforce the law for 30, 60 or 90 days even if there is no official extension due to the soon to be flood of applications I believe they will receive. Again it is only my opinion, but Bill Smith, thank you for letting me know the posting headline was not proper, I posted it with by blackberry and with my eye site, I thought it was all in there.

As I promised, when the applications for Home Inspectors is available I plan on having copies of the application at my office for distribution as well, if a potential licensee cannot get the applications off the web, due to bandwidth and traffic or if the mail is slow due to the thousands of people who are now requesting applications in Home Inspecting.

I will host a site for downloading of the NY State Application on a private server once the state is able to release the inspector application. I will promise to post it here for the benefit of NACHI Home Inspectors. I will also have copies at my office to pick up as well for the benefit of NACHI membership.

I hate to say this again and again and again, but I hope New York State allows for a transition in the form of an extension so that no Home Inspector is forced to stop working while their application is being processed. Or has to wait to learn the results of a state test which has not yet been scheduled.

Again, just my opinion, but that would be unfortunate to the NACHI members and not fair to Inspectors in general.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Quote:

It was abbreviated. I wanted the entire saying to read the following:
New York State Soon to Be Licensed Home Inspectors should request a postponement just like appraisers did in in 1993. I didn't realize as you keep typing it either stops you after x no of characters or puts in the new words.

I understand now. Thanks for the updates.

--
Bill Smith
www.SmithHomeInspection.com
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien