Odd grounding with copper clamp on iron rebar sticking out of basement floor

I inspected a new home that had a very odd service grounding configuration, with the primary grounding wire connected to a copper clamp on iron rebar sticking out of basement floor.

Not only does a piece of rebar sticking about a foot out of the basement floor appear to be a potential hazard, but the use of a copper clamp to connect to an iron bar screams of temporary grounding while the yard (which was basically dirt and weeds) is being sorted out.

I’ve inspected many new houses – not many lately, being in the Detroit area – but have not seen anything quite like this. Thoughts, anyone?

pic 008_8_1.jpg

pic 010_10_1.jpg

Ufer?

I’m aware of Ufer grounding connections, but the copper connector to iron and potentially hazardous rod sticking out of the floor seemed odd, for the reasons I mentioned.

a number of bronze alloy clamps are designed for direct burial and suited for direct rebar contact/connection

Do those bronze connectors look just like copper clamps, and are not such connections supposed to be buried or at least enclosed by some sort of panel if they are to be accessible?

http://www.creia.org/files/public/grounding_electrode_locked.pdf

Thanks for the link, Jeffrey. So my instincts were correct, after all. Maybe it is a temporary rig.

Why would you think that it was a temporary connection to the CEE? Looks like a hazard if you fell on it, but most likely it’s electrically code compliant.

I see no reason to think that is temporary either. It matches the one pic in the link in Hansens article. As long as there is still 20’ of rebar in the footing the top of the rebar could be cut off.

What size is the wire? Looks to small to be a service ground.

Could be, the OP doesn’t mention the size of the service entrance conductors. For copper the minimum size would be #8 for a typical 100 amp service but that would require physical protection so my guess is that it’s a #6 GEC which would be OK for a typical 150 amp service. A copper #4 is the largest GEC required to a CEE.

Conductor was 6 gauge copper for 150A service. Based on the info in Jeff’s link, the features that “felt” wrong *were *wrong, even if it is effective for electrical grounding purposes, which it did appear to be.

Then it was properly sized.

What features are you saying are wrong?

Good question. #6 Cu to a CEE for a typical 150 amp service would be code compliant.

Inquiring minds want to know.