Oh Boy

Originally Posted By: kwilliams
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

it’s outside and hot

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Would be even hotter if you stuck your finger in it!

icon_lol.gif

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: tdove

That a safety concern. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Was that supposed to be a light or a fuse holder

Originally Posted By: jcampbell

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/DCP_0081.JPG ]

Jeffrey S. Campbell

http://www.maineshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: jmichalski

No pictures on hand to do it justice, but in my the basement of the home I bought last year, there were several “homemade” electrical “improvements.”

My favorite was the bare light bulb rusted into a fixture with a pull chain in the ceiling, surrounded by a 1" circular metal rod about 3 feet in diameter.

I couldn't figure out what the hell it was until I saw a shower curtain ring partly rusted to it.

Turns out the guy would go hunting or fishing, wash up in the basement so as not to upset the Mrs. and - damn! - it's dark down there when the curtain is drawn! I need me a light there!

The shower head had been capped off just before listing, and it drained into the sump pit. I'm not sure how many codes it violated, but just from the fact that he lived to be 92, I'm guessing he believed all that safety stuff is overrated.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

This house had a lot of homeowner work done before I bought it too. (don’t get me started on the phony HI report I got from the seller)

Once I finally started looking around I found about a dozen open boxes in the attic, packed with cellulose insulation, where wires were simply twisted and taped.

When I remodeled in the early 90s I traced every plastic romex and either fixed or, mostly, ripped out this wiring.

The interesting thing was I never found a splice with the slightest hint of overheating. Maybe he was on to something with his twisting skills but I do wish he had invested a few bucks on covers.

The cellulose insulation was a massive mistake I wish I could fix. It degraded to grey dust that compromised the fiberglass under it.

Removing it is virtually impossible without ripping the roof off. I had a contractor quote me $4000 (rip out and replace) and he said that won’t get it all. There is no way to get an effective vapor barrier up there.