Oil pits in garage

I cant seem to find any saskatchewan data for pits in a detached garage? An alberta ruling says grandfathered if built before 1980 as part of the build, any ideas other than opinions.

What is your concern with a ‘pit’ being present?

Well I thought they were illegal in sask but I thinknthey are grandfathered if there not sure

They contain oils and they can be a confined space

1 Like

Sounds like a good start to a narrative. I don’t think you have to determine the legality of it as part of the home inspection, unless your area is under a specific SOP that requires it.

2 Likes

Mark, like Ryan indicated, you can make any recommendation that you want…contamination, safety, etcetera…and refer it out as needed.

1 Like

I would make mention of it’s existence, and that it may be required to meet certain legal requirements (ie. environmental, special permits, etc.) and refer client to the local Health Dept. or other regulatory body for information on compliance and maintenance requirements.

2 Likes

Sorry I guess I didn’t make myself clear I’m trying to find out if they are banned in Sask and I can’t seem to find it, has anyone else found info please

Well good point but I would rather know, no worries I eill phone the municipality for their bylaws, thanks fellas

1 Like

Try posting in the Canada section. May have better luck.

1 Like

[quote=“mtweidt, post:8, topic:214224”]…I’m trying to find out if they are banned in Sask and I can’t seem to find it
[/quote]

You might have to talk to someone about this. Call the local zoning department and ask. Or better yet, go to the zoning office and talk to someone face to face.

1 Like