old stone foundations

Originally Posted By: esiefer
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just inspected a house built in the 1800,s and found deteriorating granite and mortar. This is caused from bad drainage and settlement. There are numerous holes causing pest infestation, air and water infiltration. Any ideas on plugging the holes between the stone and patching the granite. I have already given advice about the drainage to the client.

sief

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Eric, I would be very cautious giving “fix” advice, unless you are a structural engineer or qualified foundation repair contractor. As a home inspector, my advice has been in the past “recommend evaluation by a structural engineer or qualified foundation repair contractor with experience in this type of foundation and repair as needed.” or words to that effect. Think of the liability you expose yourself to as a home inspector if your repair fix causes more damage or the deterioration continues. If the engineer or foundation guy says " patch with mortar" or “plug with steel wool” and the walls cave in, then it’s on them.

Stu

Originally Posted By: mlong

sspradling wrote:
Eric, I would be very cautious giving "fix" advice, unless you are a structural engineer or qualified foundation repair contractor. As a home inspector, my advice has been in the past "recommend evaluation by a structural engineer or qualified foundation repair contractor with experience in this type of foundation and repair as needed." or words to that effect. Think of the liability you expose yourself to as a home inspector if your repair fix causes more damage or the deterioration continues. If the engineer or foundation guy says " patch with mortar" or "plug with steel wool" and the walls cave in, then it's on them.
Stu

ditto

--
Mark Long
Peace of Mind Home Inspections
http://www.pomhi.net

thanks for the reply stu. Normally that is what I would tell a client, however this client is a friend and is the seller of the house and is looking for advice. Any tips on fixing the problem withstanding liabilty would be grateful.

e

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Your foundation is your home’s infrastructure. It supports the floor, wall, and roof framing. Moreover, the foundation helps keep floors level, basements dry, and, believe it or not, windows and doors operating smoothly. Your foundation is also an anchor of sorts. Maintaining your foundation is necessary to avoid structural issues that can ruin your home very slowly.

The first and foremost requirement to maintaining your foundation is to correct any underlying moisture problems that your basement may be receiving from the exterior

(Read Part 5D ?Drying out a Wet Basement?). Once you have diverted outside water away from your foundation, the majority of your foundation maintenance is complete.

Poured Concrete
Poured concrete is tough stuff, but even concrete will crack, chip and crumble. Eventually, nature has her way. New England temperature extremes make their presence known through damage to concrete structures. I recommend that you inspect your concrete and masonry walls and slabs for damage on a regular basis. Early spring is an excellent time to assess any damage that may have happened from our winter freeze/thaw cycles.
Cracks, chips and broken or flaking areas in concrete are not only unsightly; they can lead to further deterioration of the surface and leaks if not properly maintained. The result is a costly replacement project as opposed to a simple repair once you notice damages.

Fieldstone
This type of stone foundation needs annual monitoring. A brief visual inspection of your fieldstone foundation may quickly disclose bulging, bowing, shifting or settlement of a stone foundation. If you find any one these conditions, you should call in the services of an experienced Mason to make corrections immediately. However, if the stones are exposed, and appear generally to be where the original builder placed them, you can probably handle the repairs and maintenance yourself. Determined do-it-yourselfers can perform much of the routine restoration and maintenance that will make their home's foundation last for future generations.
Most stone foundations have, or had at some time, a mortar coating on their interior. The purpose of this coating was to help hold the stones in place. This thin mortar coating will inevitably flake off from moisture migration, revealing the surface of the stones. As this coating continues to erode, the soft, sandy mortar in between the stones begins to fall out. When this occurs, re-pointing is needed as soon as possible to refill the voids where the old mortar fell out. It?s important that you scrape away the outside surface of any crumbling mortar in between the stones in order to establish a small cavity which can hold the new mortar that is being applied.
To avoid perpetual repointing, you will need to finish with a complete top coating. This top coat does not have to look like a stone artisan's creation: It merely has to serve the purpose of keeping the old mortar in place. Of all the components of a building that need either restoration or maintenance, the area buried deep in the ground is often the most neglected. By taking these steps to keep the mortar in between those stones upgraded, your foundation will last forever.

Slab Foundations
Slab foundations are the most modern, but they can vary considerably from older ones that have no moisture barrier beneath them and any reinforcing steel within them to newer ones that have moisture barriers beneath them and adjustable reinforcing steel within them. This type is called a post-tension slab, but is often impossible to distinguish one slab type from another in which even the size and spacing of the bolts can vary, although most are concealed.
My inspection of slabs conforms to industry standards. I examine the visible portion of the stem walls on the exterior of the structure for any evidence of significant cracks or structural deformation. However, I do not move furniture or lift carpeting and padding to look for cracks, and we do not use any specialized tools or measuring devices to establish relative elevations or determine any degree of differential settling. Significantly, many slabs are built to move out of level, but the average person would not realize this until there is a difference of more than one inch in twenty feet, which most authorities describe as being tolerable.

Interestingly, many slabs are found to contain cracks when the carpet and padding are removed, but there is no absolute standard for evaluating them. However, those that are less than ? ? and which exhibit no significant vertical or horizontal displacement are not regarded as being structurally threatening. They typically result from common shrinkage, but can also be caused by a deficient mixture of concrete, deterioration through time, adverse soil conditions and poor drainage, and if they are not sealed they can allow moisture to enter your home, and particularly if your home is surcharged by a hill or a slope, or if downspouts discharge adjacent to the slab. However, in the absence of any major defects, I may not recommend that you consult with a structural engineer or a foundation contractor, but this should deter you from seeking the opinion of any such expert. Also, the condition of utility lines (drainage, water, gas, electric, cable) that might run in, under, or through walls within slab-on-grade foundations cannot be determined due to construction.

Bricks and Blocks
Bricks, at one time, were used extensively to construct foundations. Today, however, if a foundation doesn't consist of concrete, it is probably constructed of concrete block. In either case, brick and block have one thing in common. They are both joined together using mortar, a combination of sand and cement.

Unfortunately, over time, the mortar tends to deteriorate. Cracked and deteriorating mortar joints are not only unsightly, they also diminish the integrity of the surface and can allow water to get behind the brick or block causing major damage. This can be avoided by tuckpointing the brick or block foundation, which means the removal by surface scraping and replacement of cracked, crumbling or missing mortar. Monitor your bricks and blocks periodically and upgrade when deterioration is obvious.
If the cracked or deteriorating mortar is extensive (an entire foundation wall), tuckpointing is a project that is best left to professionals.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

while you are mixing. The bonding agent can be purchased at a good lumber or hardware store. Follow the directions to the letter as this mortar will “set-up” faster than usual, so be prepared.

Then simply mortar the area, set in the stone (make sure the mix is fairly stiff to hole the weight of the stone) and repeat as necessary.

2/ You may also apply a latex bonding agent directly on to the stone and the existing mortar once they are cleaned. This bonding agent can be applied by "painting" it on. Then follow the above until completed.

Most people apply a "parge" coat of mortar to the inside once they have completed installing the stone as added protection. There can be a problem with this, as old stone foundations allow water to migrate from the exterior through the old sandy mortar.

A little trick I have used many times in the past is to actually allow a passage way for the water to flow freely through. This can be done by "wicking" which is simply laying in a small cotton like rope on the top of the mortar in various places prior to setting the stone in place.

Alternatively, you can insert a small plastic hose (1/4") and have it direct the water to a drain.

Hope that helps.

If you need more just let me know.

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Most stone foundations were made with the intent of keeping the interior and exterior side as flat as possible.

This meant the flat side of the stone would face out while the bulbous side of the stone faces inward into the wall. This bulbous side has very little bonding value.

Occasionally the builder would through in a flag stone type to tie the interior and exterior sides together. Like a header course is done on a double brick house. However, as many of these foundations were built from stone found on the property or near by, a tie-in stone was often not available. Kind of like a double brick house that does have any header courses. Sometimes there are bits of scrap steel thrown in to function as a tie but they are long since gone as they were not galvanized.

I often see foundations were half of the thickness of the foundations has clearly fallen away. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) The old lime mortar just couldn't hold the interior and exterior sides together anymore.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Thankyou, I appreciate you taking the time to give some helpful tips and advice. This is exacty what I was looking for.

e

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

MY best suggestion, is to recommend a stone mason of the trade fix it or repair it and/or elaborate on the potential fix. Friend or not, you are not in an educational mode to recommend the fix. The book is not always the correct way for remedial repairs and should not be dictated to a friend or a client in any way or form, because you will be caught with your pants down when the experts show up.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: dspencer

You just can’t use any mortar, depending on stone a hard and soft mix is required. This is not a Home Depot quick fix weekend job.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Ditto; and I could elaborate on this subject if someone wished.

Marcel