OMG!! I am glad this was'nt my first pool inspection..

Originally Posted By: mmolus1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Well I am really glad that I was’nt the inspector on this one. This is actually my neighbors pool after 2 weeks of rain. When I talked to her son he said he felt the ground shake and heard 2 loud pops right before it popped out of the ground. I did notice that this house had very poor drainage if any. If you want to see more pics I will e-mail them to you.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/poolpics-020.jpg ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/poolpics-027.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/poolpics-0221.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Let me guess.

Empty pool and they forgot to remove the drain plugs from the bottom of the pool.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’m sure recent rains had something to do with this. You know, there have been boat hulls made of concrete.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Hey Mark I would like to see more pics.

Thanks!

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Keep us posted on what the contractor that comes out to evaluate this says is the cause. Has any one seen this happen before?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I don’t know what the inspector would have seen visually, other than possibly poor drainage conditions, but I’m sure the owners lawyer will think of something. Anything happen to the house?

Originally Posted By: mmolus1

The house appears to be fine although the drainage is very poor. I am still waiting to hear how this might have happened so quickly and drastically. All the movement took place within seconds according to the residents in the house at the time. I will keep you posted as I hear the details.

Originally Posted By: mwiggs

Do you have underground aquifers in Cali? Here in Florida, they are creating large sink holes and it looks as if an aquifer ran under the pool and finally collapsed. The aquifers we have are caves filled with water that branch out throughout the state and empty into the ocean. If you see or hear running water, this may be the answer to the cause. Michael

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

I thought above ground pools were vinyl! icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

I would be interested in additional pictures.

I would guess, like others have stated, that the pool was empty and the recent rains "floated" the pool out of the ground. I could also believe that it was very quick. Although I would expect small signs of the impending event. I would like to hear about how they fix the pool. If you neighbor needs a geo in the area, I would suggest Harry Audell. He is an expert on San Clemente geology.

I wish your neighbor lots of luck!