Ontario Electrical Code Question

Could someone with a copy of the code help me out here.
Can a sump pump go on the same circuit with a bathroom? My concern is that a tripped bathroom GFI would also take the sump pump out of service.
Thanks.

You are correct about the supply of the sump pump being on a GFCI.

GFCI protection required for sump or water pump?

Question
Does the Ontario Code require ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection for sump pumps or water pressure system pumps in homes?
Answer
No, the Code does not require GFCI protection of these specific appliances unless they are supplied by receptacles that happen to be within 1.5 m (5’) of a sink, are installed out of doors and located within 2.5 m (8’ 2") of ground level, or are within 3 m (10’) of a pool or hot tub, or as required by manufacturer installation instructions.

Rules 26-700, 26-710, 26-714, 68-068.

Thanks but my question was not whether it was required, but is it allowed.

I believe you can use it just as you can use a GFCI as an outlet on any other circuit/outlet. The code does not say you can’t.

It’s not a bad idea to protect something noticeable (a commonly used light for example) on the same circuit as the sump pump… to alert you when the GFCI trips and disables the pump.

But the problem there is no one is home to notice the trip and the sump overfills and floods the basement.

In which case I always recommend a battery back up powered pump along with a high water alarm.

And then the battery goes dead. How about a pressure back up utilizing the home water system?

… but what if you are on a well?

Install an over flow lateral to the well?

But the water pump doesn’t work because power is off and you’re on a well, not city water supply…

Good I will add this to the discussion.
http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/31443-friendly-sump-gfci-debate.html

Best not to build a house to prevent a flood in a basement. But then you have the option to have a water powered sump pump - provided you have city water pressure = Best Water Powered Sump Pump Reviews and Buying Guide - Unfortunately I have seen this pump fail at 100 year flood situations - just not enough gallons per minute … and yes no GFCI is required for Sump Pumps as per Electrical Code.

Alberta Code says no, a sump pump needs its own breaker, same as fridge or furnace does. Provincial codes are mostly the same, so I’m betting ON code says so too.
I bet the bathroom in question is in the basement, was added without a permit, and is using the circuit intended for the sump pump. Having said that, we are not code inspectors. Consider why a code might require something and how likely it is to happen.
Local code may require a sump pump because insurance companies lobbied for it. Maybe the sump pit is dry enough to store rice, so maybe a tripped breaker or GFCI is not going to put the basement at risk for a flood.
Or maybe the sump is full of water and the pump runs every day, in which case you definitely do not want anything that could shut down the sump pump.

Ummmmmm Mr. plumber and Eric::frowning:
This post is dated 2014 kind of late response don’t ya think.:slight_smile:

Cheers

While the response was a bit late, the code does changed from year to year. Here’s the current code.

Rule 26-710(e)(iv) requires at least one duplex receptacle to be provided for any unfinished basement area.

Receptacles required by Rule 26-710 must be mounted not more than 1.7 m above the floor (Rule 26-710(j)).
Typically, in residential occupancies, unfinished basements contain equipment such as water heaters, furnaces, sump pumps etc.

• The Ontario Electrical Safety Code (OESC) does not require a designated receptacle or a dedicated branch circuit for a sump pump.

So the answer to the OP’s question is Yes, the sump pump can go on a bathroom circuit, but as he said, if it’s on a GFCI it may trip and then the sump pump won’t pump water when it’s needed.

The call is to report it as an inspectors concern and then explain why it’s a concern.

Simple really.

Either of you two gentlemen, or anyone else for that matter, check if the SUMP receptacle is slaved?
As well, where it’s slaved to?
Anyone write it up?