GFCI protection

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I know that refrigerators should not be used in GFCI ouitlets because of the capacitance circuitry.

What about sump pumps and water pressure pumps? Anybody have any experience with these.

I recommend that all water handling appliences (disposer, dishwasher, sump pump, well pumps and water pressure pumps be GFCI protected. Am I goingt too far?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: apightling

I think you are right on. . . . I am a big fan of GFCI around water . . . the bottom line is electrical equipment in areas that have associations with water are more dangerous because of the increased conductivity due to the water enabling a better contact of people to ground.

In homes built to comply with the National Electrical Code (the Code), GFCI protection is required for most outdoor receptacles (since 1973), bathroom receptacle circuits (since 1975), garage wall outlets (since 1978), kitchen receptacles (since 1987), and all receptacles in crawl spaces and unfinished basements (since 1990).

Your recommendations exceed NEC but are good advice.

-ap

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I tell em:

Ground fault protection (GFCI) may not have been required when this house was constructed, however, I recommend that all outlets needing ground fault protection, as recognized by the newest national safety standards be upgraded. I recommend that this upgrade be completed by a qualified, licensed electrician.

FYI: The following dates indicate when nationally accepted minimum safety standards required GFCI protection. The local minimum safety standards may have adopted this protection at an earlier or later date.

DATES GFCI REQUIRMENTS WERE ESTABLISHED:

1971 Receptacles within 15 feet of pool walls

1971 All equipment used with storable swimming pools

1973 All outdoor receptacles

1974 Construction Sites

1975 Bathrooms, 120-volt pool lights, and fountain equipment

1978 Garages, spas, and hydromassage tubs

1978 Outdoor receptacles above 6ft.6in. grade access exempted

1984 Replacement of non-grounding receptacles with no grounding conductor allowed

1984 Pool cover motors

1984 Distance of GFCI protection extended to 20 feet from pool walls

1987 Unfinished basements

1987 Kitchen countertop receptacles within 6 feet of sink

1987 Boathouses

1990 Crawlspaces (with exception for sump pumps or other dedicated equip.)

1993 Wet bar countertops within 6 feet of sink

1993 Any receptacle replaced in an area presently requiring GFCI

1996 All kitchen counters ? not just those within 6 feet of sink

1996 All exterior receptacles except dedicated de-icing tape receptacle

1996 Unfinished accessory buildings at or below grade

1999 Exemption for dedicated equipment in crawlspace removed

The dates were picked up from one of the electrical experts quite some time ago.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hey Erby,

You mention all outlets. I never do with refrigerators as William mentioned. What do you think?

Erol