Orangeberg Pipe

Orangeberg Pipe should be reported as a Defect, True or False?

First I heard of it till now but the search results are not pleased with it.
I would report it as existing with commentary on it being easily damaged ,etc.
At least let them know and decide unless you can see it all underground.

Video scan seems like a great recommendation however.

Depends… on it’s use.

As a water pipe… perhaps.

As electrical conduit… doubtful.

Since it typically has an ID of 2" thru 18", I don’t forsee having to comment on it any time soon, since I haven’t had the need to yet, and I inspect many Century homes and buildings!

Pipe… :cool:

It it nice to see responses to the question. It used to be customary to hold back commentary regarding the answer to these poll questions for at least a day to let others take a crack at it. :wink:

Nobody cares anymore.

We figure we better get the truth out there before some uninformed CMI screws it up for everyone!

In my area it is most definitely a concern (is a concern a defect). It seems to always fail right after closing. The house up the street just replaced theirs a week after moving in. I always try to find a pvc clean out or run a lot of water during the inspection.

http://theeplumber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/orangeburg-pipe-300x238.jpg Orangeburg pipe is found in the yards of thousands of homes. It is a pipe that costs home owners thousands of dollars to replace. Often times the owner is unaware they have it until their mainline backs up. Then comes the plumber. He opens the line by cabling or rodding the sewer. Now he drops his sewer camera into the pipe and sees the “burg”. Usually, he’ll see that the pipe is blistered as shown in the picture or its full of roots.
http://theeplumber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/plumbing-0031-300x225.jpg Orangeburg or bituminous fiber pipe has not been manufactured since the 1970′s but if your home was built in the 40′ – 70′s there is a good chance you have it. For more info on the pipe itself try Wikipedia or Sewer History.
When it come to replacing burg pipe you have basically 3 options: conventional excavation, pipe bursting or pipe lining. Each method has advantages and there are several points to consider when choosing your replacement method. If this is something you as a homeowner wants to do then you will be limited to a conventional excavation. The other methods require special equipment and training. Get an expert on site to evaluate your situation. Also, get multiple quotes from qualified contractors and be sure to ask for references. If you can, take a little time to make your choice. You may feel a little overwhelmed by the options and prices but if you do your homework and choose a good contractor (maybe not the cheapest), you will have a new sewer line that should out live you.

http://theeplumber.com/drains/drain-repair/orangeburg-pipe/:)

I use the term Defect/ Concern pretty much the same myself Greg. :smiley:

I did not realize it was a pole till now.:stuck_out_tongue:
You have been gone a long time but still the pole master.:slight_smile:

Thanks for the info & picks will put in RED file !

I call out Orangeberg Pipe as a defect if and when I find it. There are areas in the Metro Phoenix where a lot of this material was installed. Your local area may have a map of suspect areas.

http://www.tempe.gov/index.aspx?page=1871

In the 1940s, the Brown Co. began manufacturing cellulose fibre (pitch impregnated) round gravity sewer pipe, and became a significant competitor to Orangeburg Pipe (manufactured by the Fibre Conduit Co., located in Orangeburg, NY ).

I can’t imagine anymore of these type sewer pipes are in existance. :slight_smile:

I’ve been waiting a while for these questions to come back!
Never heard or seen orangeberg pipe, so the research was quite educational. From what I got, the useful life of that product is 50 years under ideal conditions and we know that’s rare :slight_smile:
Thanks for posting these polls!

Just did an inspection with a sewer lateral inspection. A portion of the organgeberg had been replaced just outside the home due to tree damage. The remaining portion was not replace and there was about 80 feet out to the city sewer line that was in great condition. Not a bubble to be seen and it is covered by the concrete driveway with no trees or vegetation within 40 feet. Home built in 1952.

My mom’s orangeberg was caught just as it was starting to fail and we were able to put a liner in all the way through our easement about 250 feet to the street. If we hadn’t caught it in time, it would have cost an additional 75K by the time we repaired all the damage.

If it is noted during the inspection, a scope is highly recommended, the client is informed of the issues and warned of the possibilities.

Could some of you guys post pics of the orangeberg pipe you found on your inspections?

http://www.sewerhistory.org/articles/compon/orangeburg/orangeburg.htm

Us hillbillies call it tar pipe. My dad use to install it for town sewer lines. I still see tar pipe quite often. I even own a house that has tar pipe still running from the house to the septic tank. It unwinds like a cardboard tube, except it is stronger with more layers. To me it is just old pipe that will fail sooner or later. I just note it and tell the buyers about the pipe being just tar and heavy paper.

Bump

My Orangeberg pipe collapse in January 3 years ago cost me $3,000.00 and a case of sepsis( 3 days in hospital) from cleaning my basement.

Orangeburg pipe should be reported as a potential defect, and recommend a video scan.

I am from Orangetown, NY, and the Orangeburg pipe factory was off of Rt 303 right around where the Lowes currently stands. Ironically, the building department exists in an office section of the old factory.

Thousands of homes in Rockland County stull have it. In the hamlets and villages within Organgetown, a lot of it still exists, and fails regularly.

I still see a lot of it sticking out of the ground, serving as buried piping to convey roof runodd from fownspouts. Some used it as foundation/footing drains.

It was also used extensively in NY City for vertical electrical and telecom risers. In those instances, it is still okay.

No matter the area or installed material, we cannot see it, nor know the condition of it. therefore, have a stanndard disclaimer for buried pipes and utilities of all types. Always recommend a videpo scan of buried piping, including supply lines.

I was threatened with a lawsuit over a burst water line to a pool cabana. The client stated I should have known it could have been damaged and should have warned him.