Orangeburg Poly-Xtra Pipe

Does anyone have any experience with “Orangeburg Poly-Xtra”, used as a main water supply to a home. This pipe is black, 3/4", (perhaps in the polyethylene family?). It appears to be in good condition. I’m not finding anything useful through an on-line search.

Thanks,
Jon

1 Like

Here’s a picture:

Is this municipal water supply?

How old is the home?

Yes, municipal.

The home was built in 1991.

That stuff was around 1970’s I thought.

When I searched for Orangeburg, I found some drain pipes that date back to the 1970s, made from some pressed material with a very poor track record. This stuff looked like modern plastic. I’m not finding anything troubling about it. Certainly not a PB cousin, as far as I can tell.

It’s a Polyethylene water line, like the stuff used for irrigation systems, used as a water service line in many areas.

Thanks Dominic

I think I’d be more concerned with the 100 psi rating. Typically municipalities require at least a 160 psi piping with compression type fittings. What type of fittings/connections? Were they barbed type with hose clamps?

1 Like

I do indeed. Orangeburg Blue version rated at 160 psi. It was installed from a meter 250 feet away and about 100 feet up in late 90’s. Water pressure from city is about 100 psi. I have a shutoff right at house with a pressure reducer there but between meter and shut off that blue pipe sees the full 110 psi plus the gravity ‘drop’. And guess what. Just this weekend it blew out and leaked some 152,000 gallons. These lines blow out along length axially. I repaired the line with some black Silver-line (also 160 psi), and then another section of blue Orangeburg blew out. Made second repair and happened a third time in two days. Evidently these early poly lines had short lifespan

1 Like