Overhead Service Drop Near Balcony

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Overhead Service Drop Near Balcony

What will a visual observation identify for a report?

![](upload://rpYpSMBWsaGefIO8wLG87Zcjbfd.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Electrocution hazard.

![](upload://tippaykcWpduy6LVOqgOs10H9EM.jpeg)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dbozek

For the first time since coming back to this board I agree with Jerry

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Wow I agree with Joe. Jerry and Dennis. icon_lol.gif

OK What if this is not a balcony, just a decorative railing?

I just have to stir things up.

How about 230.6 for wrapping the Service Conductors with siding?

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

What about the tie wire attached to the drop near the top of the Box?

I wonder if they tried to pull it up higher?

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

If you are in Ohio no violation.

The utility is under the NESC not the NEC.

IMHO this this a safety hazard. Inspectors here, I am talking about code inspectors, can not 'make' the utility change this.

Now if the owner causes this I can enforce it.????

Mike P.

Whoa Mike…hold on there. That is a violation in Ohio. I ought to know I do sparky stuff in Ohio and If I let such a thing go by…the inspector would be pulling my license. Something is only grandfathered in until you change it…then it must be brought to current codes.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln

Originally Posted By: jpope

How about this one? icon_biggrin.gif

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Mike brings up a good point, the local AHJ has no power to make the utility move the overhead drop that belongs to the POCO.

He can and remind them of NESC rules and hope for the best.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Gino Conner

I agree with Mike and Bob. Unless this is running from the house

to a detached garage, it was the POCO that hooked it up! icon_wink.gif

But, that still doesn't make it right, or safe.

As a sparky, if I change out a service, I have to put it to the current codes. In any situation, where the loop is located in areas that are typically against the code, I have to make provisions to correct such. I have often moved loops myself to do such or have at times, left it up to the utility company. Nevertheless, it is part of my job to do any job correct and to the code. My customers hire me to do their electrical work because they expect a professional and quality job as well as a job that si correct in all ways. Even though the loop wires is something I should not be moving, I must still insure that the utility company is aware of the defects and that such are corrected.

In Jerry's pic...potential "rub" situation there. The loop should be re-installed or protected to prevent such. Granted it is up to the utility to repair such. As a sparky and if ever as a HI....I would flag such and recommend repair....it is dangerous situation...period.

--

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Dennis

I agree with you, but look at the POS (point of service).

I know for a fact that there was a utility line resting on a garage and Columbus tried to enforce it (the NEC).

The utility told them to pound sand.

The 'State' said that it was not under Columbus' authority.

I know the NESC refers to the NEC.

IMHO The NEC applies once the utility comes of off their 'primary' easement. But no one can get the state to back them.

Mike P.

In Florida (at least where I am aware of), the utility “owns” from the splice connector at the drip loop back to the pole. The owner owns from there in.

The owners service (the mast, service drip, etc.) must be in accordance with the NEC.

Jeff,

For your photo, take out your tape measure and overlay my drawing measurements onto your drawing. Doors, windows, balcony / porch floor, etc.

[ Image: must clear these areas ]

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpope

Nice Jerry icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, this was a temporary drop for a new build. I just thought I'd throw it in the mix.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Dont need to change it to a underground service. Raise the loop to just under the gutter. An underground service would be far more costly to do than this.

It's easy to get the utilty company to do anything.....I know I have practice with such.

Relocate the service and contact the utility and tell them they have to relocate the loop......that is one way.

Contact the utility and meet with a field supervisor.....explain the problem. Most of them guys will work with ya if you contact the right people....that is another.

Granted the utility company has their own sets of rules and do not go by any specific code. I can attest to you though that if you force their hand you will get no where. The homeowner has greater power than you think as well. I know...been there done that....a zillion times and it works every time.

I have at times contacted the utility and had a field supervisor meet with me on the job site. I explain my side of things and typically the super agrees. With the right personnel being contacted, I have yet had a major problem with the utility up here doing anything to make a service safer.

--

Regardless if the drop was temporary or not…there is a potential rub spot as it rests across the roof of the porch. Temporary or not it is an unsafe condition and should have been flagged. Get a little wind and you got that loop rubbing on that wood. If you never seen what happens when phase A hits the messenger cable…or the other phase…keep letting loops lay around like that and hope there is no innocent bystanders lurking about when it happens. At the very least you would hope the fuses at the transformer would go in that situation but typically they don’t. I have seen live services laying on the ground shorting out in the meter enclosure and remain live. I have seen loops arcing across phases as well…and they also remain live. If one of my electricians ran a temporary drop like that, he would be out a job…period.

Dennis,

"Dont need to change it to a underground service. Raise the loop to just under the gutter. An underground service would be far more costly to do than this."

Then you'd encroach into the clearance requirements for the upper balcony.

Either underground or relocate the service to the other side of the house where it does not have to cross anything and can be kept 3' from the balcony. Now, the underground service option is not that much out of the question, is it?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

what upper balcony…you mean the one to the left of the pic…I can’t see where raising the loop would interfere with that balcony.

dbozek wrote:
what upper balcony.....you mean the one to the left of the pic......I can't see where raising the loop would interfere with that balcony.

Looks like it would go almost across it, definitely within 3' of it (at least through my eyes).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

It be close…but I beleive it would make it