Service drop and cable

All,
I am going through the coursework and observed this doing inspection of my neighbor’s house. I want to confirm if two of my interpretations are correct

1. The middle service conductor is missing insulation (that’s just bare metal wire shown) and this is considered a major defect that should be corrected by a licensed electrician

2. The service entrance cable is clearly worn and one of the clips holding it to the brick is missing, but neither of these things are considered defects given that the SE-U cable is rated for outdoor use. Or, does this require correction? Or just monitoring?

Thank you.

The middle conductor on the overhead is a messenger to support the triplex and the neutral. Normally not insulated.

The SE cable needs to be properly secured to the surface. It looks to have some life left.

3 Likes

Matt, hope this helps a little;

1. The middle conductor is the neutral and most are bare and do not require insulation. So it’s fine.

2. The “entrance cable” is referred to as the service mast or raceway. It does appear to be “weathered” some and probably should be noted if obvious deterioration is evident. The clip should be replaced and corrected.

From the angle of the pic, it’s hard to tell if all three SECs have a proper drip loop.

3 Likes

SE cable is not a mast. A mast supports a overhead service and is typically rigid metal conduit. SE cable is secured to the building while an anchor supports the triplex.

Defect. In your opinion. Replacement recommended.

What brick?

Require? No. Recommended Yes.

No - see above

Overhead conductors appeared to be in contact with the structure.

Temporary connections appeared to be in place between the overhead conductors and the service entrance cables.

The SE cable showed signs of deterioration and was not properly attached to the structure.

The weatherhead appeared to be damaged and a service conductor was not properly installed through it and lacked an adequate drip loop.

Recommend that a qualifed Electrical contractor make corrections as needed.

3 Likes

Wow Kevin thank you so much. Thanks to all. I’ve been trying to soak up all the info and experience on this board. Long way to go for my education.

1 Like

Please correct me if I’m not fully on board here. The OP stated that the
The service entrance cable is clearly worn and one of the clips holding it to the brick is missing, but neither of these things are considered defects given that the SE-U cable is rated for outdoor use. Or, does this require correction? Or just monitoring?”

My reading of this lead me to believe he was making reference to the cable conduit or raceway that the cable is run through. Is service entrance “cable” used as in the same sense of it’s protective conduit? If so, I just want to use the proper narrative in describing overhead installation when needed.

Evening, Matthew.
Hope this post finds you well.

Good effort. We are not all born with this information.

Observation: Electrical.
Overhead Service Drop.
Utility splices are taped. Missing splice insulators.
Phase A and B cables sheathing worn.
Weatherhead anchorage pulling out.
Bent mast.
Mast has been painted. Suspect: Mast Corrosion.
Detached mast wall anchor.
Suspect" SEC roof clearance.
PoCo SEC have been updated. Entrance cable might be for 60 amp service.
Just my 2 cents.

Maybe the confusion is because the picture kinda makes it look like a conduit, but in fact the sheathing of the SE cable is exposed. I though it was conduit until I zoomed in.

1 Like

Thanks Ryan, I zoomed too but couldn’t make the call. “Got to be there…” :wink:

1 Like

This reminds me of a good question I have.

Does anyone report on exterior SE cable that is not in conduit or protected in some type of “raceway”? Especially if it is routed to within, say, 6 feet or lower to the ground?

Protection is not required by the NEC unless subject to physical damage but some locales have their own amendments. Here in NJ it is common to see the SE cable run into the top of the meter and out of the bottom.

2 Likes

That is such a pesky statement by the NEC.

2 Likes

Thanks! I think I’m going to note it, even though not required by any local AHJ…

Yes, one of those undefined rules. Probably the reason why some local jurisdictions set their own rules on where it needs to be protected.

1 Like

Common aroung here also, Robert, but most newer homes I see conduits with masts and weather heads. Would it be due to homes that had 60 and 100 amp entrances vs. 200 amps.?

1 Like

I never did…

1 Like

I just always picture crap flying from the lawn mower and/or snowblower and possibly hitting the cable. Or kids running around swinging bats, sticks, swords, knives or whatever. Most of them are in conduit in my area, but I come across the occasional one that isn’t.

SE cable is fairly tough. I have pictures where it was at ground level and covered by mulch or dirt. The only damage was due to squirrels chewing on the sheath.

2 Likes