Pandors Box

I don’t normally get my dandruff up easily but a received a phone call today from a Realtor that was the selling agent on a home that was recently inspected by me.

One of my many statements concerning the roof was in relation to the two layers of asphalt and one layer of wood shingles over 1X4 spaced decking on 1/2 of the roof with two layers of asphalt over solid decking on the other 1/2 which is not allowed in this area. Two layers max My statement to my client was SOME INSURANCE COMPANY’S WILL NOT INSURE AND SOME LENDERS WILL NOT LEND ON A HOME THAT HAS 3 LAYERS OF ANY KIND OF SHINGLES

This is a true and correct statement.

The Realtor consulted with the local city inspector and his statement was that three layers could be considered as GRAND FATHERED and that he would stand behind his statement.

There is no such thing as grand fathering a roof. The word Grand Fathering to me means Original as built or conforms to the standards as built at the time of construction.

This roof was not constructed originally with three layers of shingles.

I am going to confront the local city inspector with this statement and determine if it was actually his statement or smoke and mirrors from the realtor.

So what say the rest of you folks???

The inspector’s statement has no bearing on your original statement about insurance companies and lenders. Insurance companies and lenders have their rules, and the inspector has his. Nothing he’ll ever say will influence an insurer or lender. The REA is barking up the wrong tree with the inspector. In my trade, the inspector will absolutely permit K&T to remain in 90% of circumstances, but many insurers and lenders want all exposed K&T replaced. They don’t care one bit what the inspector thinks about it. Just drawing a parallel…

I smell smoke, and I also think someone has stepped in something as well.:smiley:

Thats a known fact. However as to the AHJ he might be referring to a roofing material being installed before any code was changed. So if the code was changed in 2000 the roof installed 1998. He’s going to win. I would try to find out exactly when the local code was revised and then look at when the improvements were made. Who knows they may have even pulled a permit on the install. Doubt it though.

No right but perfectly legal in some juristictions.

Paul

As Marc pointed out it may be legal back may not be insurable. We know about, or the lack of, insurance in Florida.:smiley:

Stick to your guns, its not proper roofing protocol.

I’m not smelling smoke I smell a Rat did not get to tell the whole story on the first post the Real Estate Agent stated that Farmers Insurance had stated that they would insure the home.

My question would be did the insurance agent actually know that there were three layers or was this concealed as there was no way to tell without going into the attic as I did. The wood shingles were not visible from the exterior.

Just trying to protect my clients if they should close on this property and then later decide to sell; this could come back to haunt them. Disclose, Disclose and disclose somemore.
</IMG>

Charley, good information, I would have reported multiple layer asphalt shingle roof and left it at that. I am not in the insurance business and can not know every thing that an insurance will disclaim now or tomorrow. You can not protect everyone against everything.

Oh yea who the **** is pandor???

Ok you got me I misspelled Pandora was in a hurry supper was ready.

You should try opening Pandora’s box it can be exciting. Put a little spice in your life.

Being that realtors are often the horse’s asses they are, I would lay bets that he spun the story to the AHJ to get the desired statement from the poor unsuspecting city inspector. As you said, you can’t “grandfather” something that has not been there from the beginning. Everything you said was true. When you speak to the city guy, tread lightly…there is a very good chance he was misled by the realtor, who, of course, only had a commission check in mind. You might create an addendum to your report, if it wasn’t included in the beginning, stating all the reasons that this installation is not only wrong, but could wind up costing the buyer big bucks. You know, too much load, possible rafter spread with accompanying bowing of walls, etc, etc. Maybe that would make him happy. I would be surprised if some bowing and spreading hasn’t already occurred, unless much reinforcement, such as truss like webbing, has been added to the attic structure.

I am currently in enough trouble at home Charley without opening another womens box.:twisted:

[quote=bkelly2]
Charley, good information, I would have reported multiple layer asphalt shingle roof and left it at that. I am not in the insurance business and can not know every thing that an insurance will disclaim now or tomorrow. You can not protect everyone against everything.

quote]

Brian I’m not in the insurance business either but If I did not make an issue out of this and the property went to close as is; with information hidden from the lender and the insurance company and my clients two years from now decided to sell and some home inspector came along and started this fire burning again my clients would be looking for me to pay for a new roof.

If my clients can obtain insurance and their lender will lend and everyone in this transaction and I mean everyone knows that there are three layers I have no problems. They can place 20 layers on if they want to I just want everyone informed.

You must be a little younger than me if you have not heard the statement Pandoras Box. Not speaking of the Female Version; Pandoras box is actually a wooden box with nightmares within.
</IMG>