Panel In Clothes Closet

I would assume that the prohibition against OCPD is clothes closets includes local disconnects for air handlers.

Thoughts?

084.JPG

Air handler disconnects are supposed to be within sight.

Yep -that’s it to the right - Also in the clothes closet

You can recommend they remove them but I assume the clothing is not considered as part of the sale.
… Or you can have them move the blower unit and kill switch instead.
Guess which one.

The CB would need to be changed to disconnect switch. Some manufacturers make molded case switches that are of the same form factor as a circuit breaker. Here’s a NEC code reference

That’s what I suggested in the report. Thanks!

Easier to move the clothes.
I prefer being practical in my reports.

They will not need a contractor.

So, in new construction where the house is not yet occupied, you would not call this a defect? Come on Bob, you’re better than that.

No OCPD’s in clothes closets, whether there are clothes in the closet or not.

Yes you are correct (I am better than that) which is why it pays to read the post and examine the evidence.
Please show me where he said new construction or tell me why it is a clothes closet .

I can go down to any utility closet and throw up a couple pressed pants in front then you would tell the seller to move the furnace ?

Back on track I am asking people to use logic and get heads out of the tablets to see if there might be an easier /less expensive way to do things.

All the time and most likely this mornings inspection there will be a small front closet with Remote Distribution panel near the front door in a high rise and people decided to make it a ////clothes closet.

Do you think I am such a anal stickler I suggest they hire an Electrician and move the entire panel ? :slight_smile:

Eh …hey buddy (speaking to the client) just so you know standard practice is to have a 3 foot clearance so using this space as a closet not a great idea.

Now if we really think about it the clearance is so an Electrician (not the home owner)can get inside and service the panel so realistically…well you are pretty smart Jeff. :slight_smile:

P.S If clearance in front is 2’ 11’ do you write it up (just curious)

“Just keepin it Real”

This requirement has nothing to do with clearances for the panel it has to do with the OCPD being *in Vicinity of Easily Ignitible Material. * Even if the clearances in Article 110 are met it still cannot be in a clothes closet.Personally I find this particular section to be poorly written.

Exactly so just move the clothes .
Grab a handful…takes a second.

2’ 11"? Maybe… it really depends…

In this case, you’re right, it’s not new construction. However, this panel/switch-box was added after the fact. So in this particular instance, I would recommend relocating the equipment, or replacing it with something other than an OCPD.

A utility closet is a different story - hence the term “utility” closet. They are usually designed with adequate working space for such equipment. If the homeowner decides to install a rod in front of it, I recommend removing the rod.

Would it make a difference if this were classified as a disconnect and not an OCPD?

It is already “classified” as both.

You can’t not make an OCPD an OCPD.

Disconnects are permitted OCPD are not.

The are disconnects that have what looks like a breaker but do not provide over current protection.

Yes sir, got a **60A Non Fused Disconnect **(Switch) in a out door rated enclosure for my Spa on the deck (>5’ away, in sight). The 60A GCFI (OCPD)is in the main panel in the basement.

The 60A NF Disconnect looks just like a breaker, but it is not, its a **switch **rated at 60 Amperes.

So to the OP, I would be certain that what you are calling out is an OCPD and not just a High Ampere switch mounted in an enclosure for a disconnect which would therefore be allowed in that space.

Panels in clothes closets were allowed at one time and my house was built like that. The AHJ required me to either move the panel or install a partition and remove the clothes rod. I moved it to the outside of the house because I needed a larger panel anyways.

What did you remove the closet rod or the panel. Just kidding Robert. LOL

Subtle Point…“such as in Clothes Closets”.

The NEC only gives you examples of locations that could contain easily ignitable material…and then leaves it at that. We do have a definition of clothes closet…if the descriptions apply…there you have it…if it does not, you still have to determine if the “closet” contains easily ignitable material and go from there forward.

Over the years I have seen this one botched along the way. As you see this requirement is located in Art. 240 so that tells us what it really pertains too, and its not panelboards if your asking:)

Nothing prevents a Panelboard from being in a closet(except maybe clearance issues if applicable) or similar area that may have easily ignitable material within it…you just can’t put OCPD’s in it…but an empty panelboard …well I will leave that one alone as I don’t play fortune teller:)