Pass or Fail

Would you pass all these questions asked by your Real Estate Association.

How to choose your building inspector…

Home inspections are an important part of the pre-purchase routine when buying a house. You do not want to end up with faults that you had not anticipated. Choosing a home inspector can be a difficult process. It is important to consult with family and friends to find a reliable inspector that has good references. You should also contact several inspectors in your area and interview them in advance to ascertain their qualifications. Be sure to do your own independent investigation of the inspectors’ qualifications.
Questions to ask your potential home inspector.
How long has the inspector been in business AS A HOME INSPECTION firm?
Is the inspector specifically experienced in RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION?
What does the inspection include? Inspections should include visual inspections covering exterior, structure, garage, plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical, interior, insulation and ventilation. Extras include radon testing, a pest infestation survey or inspection of septic systems or wells. Be sure the inspector will provide a written report.
How much will it cost? Determine fees up front. Inspections cost from as little as $200 to as much as $1,000 depending on the size of the home and which inspection services are requested.
How long will the inspection take? The time depends on the size and age of the home: The average is 2 to 3 hours. **Anything less isn’t enough time **to do a thorough inspection but many inspectors take a full day to thoroughly inspect your prospective purchase.
Does the inspector encourage the client to attend the inspection? This is a valuable educational opportunity, and an inspector’s refusal means you should look for a better qualified inspector.
Bluntly ask what educational and/or training facility the inspector attended. Does the inspector participate in continuing education programs to keep his/her expertise up to date? Ask to see the inspector’s papers. When hiring a company, ensure your home will be inspected by a registered professional.
Does the company offer to do any repairs or improvements based on its inspection? This might cause a conflict of interest. We do not recommend that you deal with these firms.
Do they belong to an association that will investigate a consumer complaint?
Do they carry errors and omission insurance?

Good list!

G

I rate them as fare to failing in grade Questions to ask an inspection company myself…
There are several questions omitted by the real estate company.

1: How long has the inspector been in business AS A HOME INSPECTION firm?

• No validation of when you started your business?
  • No where are they asking for proof.

2: Is the inspector specifically experienced in RESIDENTIAL CONSTRUCTION?

• Again. A deceptive question. A roofer could say he or she have been involved with construction but only driven a truck or hammered nails.

3: What does the inspection include? Inspections should include visual
inspections covering exterior, structure, garage, plumbing, heating, cooling, electrical, interior, insulation and ventilation.

[FONT=Arial]1. Roof [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]3.2. Exterior
3.3. Basement, Foundation, Crawlspace & Structure
3.4. Heating
3.5. Cooling
3.6. Plumbing
3.7. Electrical
3.8. Fireplace
3.9. Attic, Insulation & Ventilation
3.10. Doors, Windows & Interior[/FONT]
THEY FORGOT SOME.
OH WELL…

Extras include radon testing, a pest infestation ***survey ??? ***or inspection of septic systems or wells. Be sure the inspector will provide a written report.???

• I see the questions do not cover the breath and scope they should.
  • This is taken right from a text book. Soft as usual for a real estate agency.

4: How much will it cost? Determine fees up front. Inspections cost from as little as $200 ??? to as much as $1,000 depending on the size of the home and which inspection services are requested.
I GUESS THEY MEAN survey. ha ha ha

• $200 dollars?

How long will the inspection take? The time depends on the size and age of the home: The average is 2 ??? to 3 hours. Anything less isn’t enough time to do a thorough inspection but many inspectors take a full day to thoroughly inspect your prospective purchase.

Are those the $1,000 dollar inspections I hear of.

Again a soft question. 3-4 hours for an average real estate property.

5: Does the inspector encourage the client to attend the inspection? This is a valuable educational opportunity, and an inspector’s refusal means you should look for a better qualified inspector.

• A given.

6: Bluntly ask what educational and/or training facility the inspector attended. Does the inspector participate in continuing education programs to keep his/her expertise up to date? Ask to see the inspector’s papers.

• What papers? I thought is was a certificate. I have over 20 plus.
  • The kicker is the next line.

7: When hiring a company, ensure your home will be inspected by a registered professional.

• Now the word registered comes up. Is CAHPI at this again. I know ASHI is.
  • Or do they mean a registered company.
  • It should be easy to see when they REGISTERED THEIR INSURANCE.

8: Does the company offer to do any repairs or improvements based on its inspection? This might cause a conflict of interest. We do not recommend that you deal with these firms.
I WILL GIVE THEM A GOOD TO GO.

Do they belong to an association that will investigate a consumer complaint?

• HA HA HA HA HA HA

Do they carry errors and omission insurance?

What no verifying they are insured by calling the company?

Yes, I can see how some like soft questions beings asked.
It soft but a perfect world we do not live in.
An A for effort but F for failing to show how to archive verification.

Agreed Gilles but it falls short. At least it is a start.
A fundamental short list.
Explaining that verification must be achieved is paramount.

A number of clients have told me that they hired me because my verifications to everything I talked about held weight. That many had previously hired a homie only to find out at the door or worse, when they received the report the individual was not insured but a return of the inspection fee would be the guarantee if any observed defects became an issue.

When you look at the report, the defects are referred to a professional service.
They are covered.

No contracts, no insurance.

This does not sit well with public perception.

They call me saying they can get a verified report for $200 dollars and it is insured. I say good luck.

As I have been saying, any government could categorize home inspectors under trades or residential commercial service providers.
A simple registry is built or shared within federal or provincial job description categories.
The regulations would require a homie to be insured, vehicular signage, a certification by any of the recognised associations or educator and a bond of $5,000 to $10,000 be required.
Once the Home inspector registers their company they have so mush time to compile the requirements. The individual or company would return the registrar’s office showing the above have been archive.
This would be repeated yearly.

Sorry to go off thread.