Pex manifold - tubing pop out

Last July I installed pex plumbing in my house. The first time I turned on the water one of the pex tubes popped out of the manifold. I tightened it, and it never happened again … until today.

Today another one popped out!!
Luckily I was home and could turn off the water before it caused damage in the basement. I was wonderig if anyone could tell me what to do to prevent this from happening again.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10643&stc=1&d=1176039921

This is the manifold. The tube that came out today was the red one, 2nd from the top.

Any suggestions would be VERY helpful.
Lisa

Lisa 145.jpg

Hi Lisa,

PEX pipes coming off the manifold is a new one on me, the system that I have previously used had a crimp fitting (like an O ring) on the end. I am wondering if your system was not properly crimped.

Can you post a larger image of the manifold so we can see whose system it is?

Regards

Gerry

There is a special tool that is used to secure the connections. Any plumbing company should have one. If you had one line come loose you should have all of the connections checked.

First, thank you for your replies. I will try and post a larger picture later.

I didn’t use the crimping tool; I used the other connectors. The hoses going to the manifold aren’t crimped either; they are on a threaded connector. I installed it myself because I couldn’t afford to have it done. I choose pex over copper because I don’t know how to solder and the non-crimped connectors because they seemd easier to install than the crimped ones.

The plumbing was an offshoot from another project; remodeling the downstairs bathroom. All of the very old copper and other metal piping has been springing leaks for years. So while I had the up and downstairs bathroom pipes exposed I replaced the plumbing.

Shoud I have this inspected?

Lisa

If you cant afford a plumber i would at least recommend a handyman service that has experience with Pex. Pex is not hard to work with but it does take experience and training. I would not recommend a home inspector to evaluate it because as a home inspector we are not allowed to work on something we inspect.

I can’t see the photo well, but your lines look, ah ‘stressed’. They might be too tight, and putting undue stress on the connections.

No crimp involved, did you use an ‘expanding tool’?

tom

From one manufacturer:

“When connecting the Pex tubing to the Manabloc do not over tighten. Snug the compression nut with the Manabloc wrench until you feel and hear slight “torque-slip”. Observe the Manabloc when you charge the system (turn the water on, hot and cold) and re-tighten any compression nuts, if necessary.”

Thomas, I probably should have mounted it inbetween the studs, then I could have drilled holes through the studs and put the tubes through them. That way the tubes would have gone into the manifold perfectly straight. I think the one that came apart is stressed, and I am going to replace it soon.

Still working on getting a bigger picture. I don’t know how to do that.

For now, I just put the tube back on. I have been researching this and read that the connections need to be tightened a week after installation (they weren’t) and then once a year after that. They’ve been on there for 8 months. So when I replaced the tube I tightened all of them. Marc, I don’t have a Manabloc wrench. The directions simply told how to tighten them (how many turns). I don’t think I tightened them enough when I installed them and I hope I didn’t tighten them too much this time.

I may have to make some type of frame to stabalize the tubes, and lenghten the one that popped out. I’m SO worried that this is going to happen again when I’m in work.

Never seen pex come off the manifold when this tool is used.

H-series ProPEX Battery Expander Heads The H-Series Wirsbo Expander heads are used only with the Wirsbo Battery Expander Tool. The heads come in 3/4", 1" , 1-1/4", & 1-1/2" sizes.

http://www.pexsupply.com/img/categoryImages/Wirsbo%20H-Series%20ProPEX%20Exp%20Head.jpg

Marcel:) :slight_smile:

Hey Lisa,

Here’s a great website regarding everything you want to know about PEX. Refer to page 19 for the proper installation of various connectors, including, but not limited to sleeves, crimps, threaded, etc. There are also different types of PEX guides and supports listed in the file.

http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGuides/pex_designguide.pdf

You could also have an independent licensed plumbing contractor perform a simple visual inspection of your manifold installation. If your connections were correct in that limited area or needed some additional attention, you could use that information in regards to the balance of the system. Plumber (2) hour minimum @ $75 per hour, not to bad, don’t you think?

Do definitely get a qualified plumber experienced in PEX to check out your manifold. If the PEX was improperly installed or installed by a non-qualified person, your homeowner’s insurance will probably not pay for a major water damage claim.

With a material like PEX, you have to carefully follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Most PEX manufacturers have classes in how to install their material. The reason they offer these classes is that they don’t want to be sued if something goes wrong.

I will have a blumber look at the manifold. Thanks for the advice everyone.