Phone Service

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all.

Is anyone using a phone answering service? If so, is it worth it and what exactly do they do? I'm not in the "office" much, but I want to get every call answered. I carry a cell phone, but I use it for more than my Inspections. If I forward my calls to my cell, I cant tell if its from my Inspection line or from something else.

Appreciate any info you have

Oscar

"Jack of 2 Trades, master of ?"

--
Dreams without action stay dreams.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Before anyone signs up for an answering service, I would highly recommend testing them out without their knowledge. If any other inspectors use them, call and see how the company handles a customer (you).

When we were thinking about using an answering service that's what we did and were we surprised. There is no way I would want my company associated with the way calls were handled.

Get another cell phone just for your business and if you can't answer because you're with someone have the message say that and then call them back soon....real soon.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: jpope

These answering services are just another “piece of the pie” that so many vendors want to take from us.

I can't believe that anyone is so busy that they can't answer their own phone - unless you're the owner/operator of a multi inspector firm in which case you may need several "office workers."

Dedicate a line for your inspection company that you will always answer. If you can't afford the second line, you shouldn't be considering an answering service (IMHO).

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff,

It has nothing to do with being too busy. Its just that I don't sit around all day in my home office waiting for the phone to ring. For this reason, I have been forwarding my calls to my cell. It posed a problem of me not knowing where the calls were coming from. ( My Insp. Biz or a direct call to the cell phone).
I was curious about it so I was merely inquiring about it. I can simply answer my existing cell phone by saying " Smith Property Inspections" instead of hello. I appreciate and value your opinion as usual, but relax - it was a simple question.

Oscar

P.S. Thanks

--

Originally Posted By: waksell

Can you change the ring tone so you can determine which line is ringing? On my Nextel, I can set different tones for different numbers calling, so I know who’s calling before I answer. Just identify your office line with a special tone and you will know when it’s a call on your office line.

Wes

Thats a great idea, but im not sure if it will work. Each forwarded call is potentially a different number. It would make too much sense for my office phone number to show up. But I think i’ll check with my carrier anyway to see if there are any options.

Thanks!

--

Originally Posted By: jpope

osmith wrote:
I appreciate and value your opinion as usual, but relax - it was a simple question.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Reading and posting to the message board is one of the many ways that I do relax. . .

The question was regarding answering services to which I gave my opinion - their service is just another way to take money out of our pockets.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Depending on who your cell phone provider is, adding a second phone is usually only about 20 dollars more a month. That is a lot cheaper and more effective than hiring an answering service. Several people I know carry one than one cell phone. Plus this gives you the appearance of being a little more professional if you answer your own phone. I would not depend on someone else to do my talking for me if someone is looking for information about a home inspection or my service. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

well, I have caller ID on my cell phone,

I always know if it’s my office phone, I always

answer it " Kevin Williams" anyway if I don’t

know the number

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: away

Kevin,

Are you saying that your office number shows up when you forward it to your cell phone?

I am asking because I forward my office line and the caller ID is the number that is doing the actual calling, not my office number.

I have Sprint (they suck) for my cell service and SBC for my landline.

--
Andrew Way
Keystone Residential Inspection Services PLLC
www.keystoneinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rwashington

I take it that you caller id is not working otherwise you would know if it is personal or business. Maybe I missed something? eusa_doh.gif

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lkage

rwashington wrote:
I take it that you caller id is not working otherwise you would know if it is personal or business. Maybe I missed something? ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

All the cell phones that I've seen give only the number that is calling on the ID, no names.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

IF you decide to get an answering service, be sure to get someone who knows how to answer the questions potential customers will ask, or you may lose the booking. Sometimes in the summer I DO get so busy that I have considered using an answering service. (It’s not fun answering the phone when you’re in the crawl or the attic!)

One I looked into charged 75 dollars a month, and 5 dollars for each inspection he booked. Remember though, that even if someone else answers it, you still have to sit down at the middle or end of the day and go through your messages.

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Oscar,

Why not get an 800 number and have it translated to your cell number. You can kill many birds with one stone. First off the 800 number can be set to a particular ring tone. Another nice point is the client can call without worrying about additional charges if they are out of your normal LATA (calling area).

The best part about it is for a few dollars more a month you can also have 100% ANI delivery for every call. I get many calls now direct to my cell that have ANI blocked. Sometimes I wonder who it was that is calling if they try to wiggle out of giving a name. Telecom regs allow phone companies to provide ANI for any call that the receiving party is paying for, i.e. 800 numbers.

800 service is cheap now too!

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: rkulla

I set my business up to be ran off my cell phone. That way my kids aren’t answering the phone. I always have it with me, I always answer it. If I am with a client I politely tell them I have to take the call and will keep it short. You already have the client your inspecting for hooked. The guy calling isn’t. I tell people if I don’t answer it I don’t work. icon_wink.gif

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: rbunzel

I use Vonage for my business service. Vonage is phone service using my internet connection. Its basically using the cable as a connection and everything else is the same. Basic business was 39.99 and 800 service was an additional $4.95 One of the cool features is the simultaneous ring feature. If I don’t pickup after 5 seconds, it starts ringing a second number which I have set to my cell phone. If neither number answers it goes to my vonage voicemail. When I had sprint they were charging me 89.95 for business service with voice mail and call forwarding. Unfortunately if you left the office and forgot to forward, then all the calls would stack up (or go elsewhere) until you got back to the office. Although I have seen some service issues with Vonage overall for 1/2 the price it is a much better deal!

//Rick

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Oscar,

This is what we did:

Had a home number. Had an office number. Had a fax number. Had a cell phone number. Only the office number was (is) listed in the phone book. (Regular line listing in the white pages and a small display ad in the yellow pages) Had additional features on the home and office number, caller id, call waiting, blah blah blah. I forwarded the office phone to my cell phone. That worked fine, other than for the times when I was out of cell coverage. Most customers don’t leave a message, they move on down the list. Most customers want a live person answering the phone.

Took a hard look at my phone bills, and decided to: take the added features off the home number, “port” my office number to my cell phone, ditch the fax line (how many faxes do you get for inspections?), ditch the office line. Now we have a plain home number and my cell phone with my old business number. This arrangement saved us $1600 per year, which almost pays for my E&O. Hope this helps.

Stu

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

Bingo!
![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: rcooke

sspradling wrote:
Oscar,
I forwarded the office phone to my cell phone.
That worked fine, other than for the times when I was out of cell coverage.

Stu

Worth a look I understand it works well and extends your area coverage.
The cost of one inspection .

http://www.cellphoneamplifier.com/e-commerce/?mainframesrc=antenna.php

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com