Pictures of Nasty Things

Send me pictures of nasty-looking notches and drilled holes in floor joists and wall studs that were deemed defects, and I’ll try to put them in an up-coming instructional/training video at www.nachi.tv. Your name shall appear at the ending credits of the video if your picture is used.

ben@nachi.tv

Thank you.

:smiley:

Heres a picture of a band/rim joist being cut to accomadate the tub piping.

111608 039 (Small).jpg

How about New floor joists nailed to saturated, wood rotted floor joists, you want them too?

Not sure about the resolution of these pictures. Advise if you require a different res.

100_0153 r.jpg

Why plumbers shouldn’t be allowed to use Sawzalls!

No! No!

Why plumbers shouldn’t be allowed to **OWN **Sawzalls!

If they own 'em, they’ll use 'em!!!

That picture showed 2 joists fully cut for a 1.5 -2 inch pipe. Plumber obviously only owned one tool and it wasn’t a 90 degree angle drill!

Saw one 18 months ago in a new house construction for an aquaintance who works the contractors section at local building supplies dealer. I was installing an HRV system:

For 3" drain for a water closet, they cut out 3 joists. Phoned owner and told him to call the local AHJ to get someone out asap before the plumber got any farther. The bad joke of it was: The plumber is a part timer…his regular job…a butcher!!! I swear…the truth!!!

Thanks guys.

Use these if you can. I guess the light was so everyone could see their fine workmanship. It didn’t work.

Here’s one

Still one of my favs. Let me know if you need a Hi res version.

More…

plate rot (600 x 450).jpg

More…

100_0724 (600 x 450).jpg

100_0724 (600 x 450).jpg

Staircase strap support
Other side of staircase strap
Engineer redesigned a repair before this was enclosed

Waste in undersized 2x4 wall no top plate and that metal was some 25-26 ga
roof metal and only on this side
Engineer redesigned a repair before this was enclosed

Missed layout so obvious this blind inspector found it

have fun

How bout deck with no ledger board and joists attached with only 2 “TICOs” into 1/2" cedar siding?

ext deck mount 2.jpg

ext deck attach 4.jpg

How bout split rails and skinned trees for support posts?

How bout an exterior non GFCI outlet with a bird house built over it to protect it, when you plug in the lamp cord it powers the flood light by way of the interior switch box nailed to the wall? P.S. This was a RE agents home who told me everything was perfect and ready to inspect.

ext lamp wiring 2.jpg

ext lamp wiring 1.jpg

ext deck 2 gfci.jpg

[FONT=Verdana]Plumber cut oversized hole in floor and cut out floor joist. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]This is after the framing Green Tag had been issued. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]That is a bath tub above+Water+Body=Disaster waiting to happen.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]They also had to add a furr down to compensate for the layout error.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Another plumber hard at it, why couldn’t they add a few fittings? Missed 2 floor joists then cuts a main bearing girder in half[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Need more? Check the archives for the I-beam notches, they were pretty creative. :stuck_out_tongue:
Here’s one by a plumber who cared.