Pipe from bottom?

Hi,

I did an inspection and I found the pipe under the sink was coming from the bottom instead of from the wall. Do you guys call it S-trap or P-trap?? Is it a problem or not?

thanks.

S-trap…

Have you considered joining InterNACHI and taking some of the free (to members) educational offerings?

Looks like an S-trap to me.

S trap

1. There is at least one or more “unvented S-Trap(s)” present. Although common in older homes like this one, they have not been an approved use in plumbing systems for over 20 years. Sometimes they will gurgle when draining water (they’re struggling for air). They can also dry up and allow sewer gas or odors back into the building. Common methods of repair are properly venting them outside, or if that is not possible - changing any of them to a “P-trap” with an AAV (auto-vent) if your jurisdiction allows it. We recommend you consider changing these.

2. There is at least one or more “unvented S-Trap(s)” present. Although common in older homes, this home is newer and in our opinion this indicates a handyman installation VERSUS performed by a competent plumber. These traps have not been an approved use in plumbing systems for at least 20+ years. Sometimes they will gurgle when draining water (they’re struggling for air). They can also dry up and allow sewer gas or odors back into the building. Common methods of repair are properly venting them outside, or if that is not possible - changing any of them to a “P-trap” with an AAV (auto-vent) if your jurisdiction allows it. We recommend having any of these replaced to conform to current plumbing standards.