I have no idea who to turn to so I am hoping someone here can help me.
My husband, parents and I are renovating a house that was built in the 1950’s. We came across a kitchen floor that was made from material that we thought was old linoleum. My stepfather took a piece of it and burned it and said that he didn’t think it was asbestos since it burned.
Well, stupidly we all proceeded to strip the floor and the black “adhesive” down to the original wood. Now I am freaking out because I am wondering if it was indeed asbestos. No one used the proper masks, gloves or anything. I am sure asbestos fibers were flying all over the place, including into our lungs.
I honestly cannot sleep over the worry. Now I feel we all will develop lung cancer from breathing in this stuff.
Is there a way to determine whether that material was asbestos? The floor is pretty much clean now but could something in the surrounding area be tested for fibers? From what I read, it is very likely that it was asbestos, but I want to make sure.
Can someone suggest something here? I am sick from worry about the impact on all of us who worked on this floor!!!:freaked-: :freaked-: