Got Asbestos? Ya think?

While I am not confirming this for the buyers… this estate sale had “asbestos-like qualities” to say the least…

• Exterior wall on the porch (vinyl outside)
  • Insulation in the basement
  • Flooring in the basement (9x9)
  • Other older flooring throughout upstairs

the folks are getting a good deal per the agent but there insulation and flooring need attention.

DISCLOSURE STATED: ASBESTOS: X Unknown

That third exterior picture looks to be asbestos tiles to me. My parents house is sided with it, built in the early 40’s. Great material.

Nice, appears to be airocell pipe insulation, two different colors of VAT (vinyl asbestos tile)-actually-this appear to be 8x8 (used in the 1950’s) and transite siding. This is all presumed, pending analysis by Polarized Light Microscopy in accordance with EPA protocol

This looks like asbestos to me as well. I see alot of this in my area. Alot of the old mining towns used this kind of siding.

We have a lot of that siding up here too. Mainly on what we call “war-time” housing built 1945 - 50 ( although the war was largely over by then except, apparently here!!:D) Great siding in terms of wear resistance. Scares the hell out of purchasers though.:shock:

Hey George!

You're right on. That is definitely Johns-Manville siding, in the third photo. We do see lots of that up here.

the fourth photo is actually sheet flooring… not individual tiles…

the only thing missing was an asbestos heat shield…

3 is asbestos siding in appearance, 9 x 9’s depending on circa are suspect as well. Those old VCT’s are problematic, at times even if the tile is free of asbestos, the adhesive will contain…

I think that you are correct. The old 9x9 tile is called VAT which stands for " Vinyl Asbestos Tile".

If any of the tile were loose you can look at the adhesive and *if it is black *it is the old “cut back” adhesive and it certainly does contain asbestos.

One important thing to note is if the VAT, the piping insulation, and the exterior siding are not broken then they are considered to be :shock:“safe”.:shock:

• But… Although “safe” it certainly should be mentioned in your report!

When the above-mentioned products are broken or chipped then they can become “airborne” and that is when the problems arise.

think that you are correct. The old 9x9 tile is called VAT which stands for " Vinyl Asbestos Tile".

If any of the tile were loose you can look at the adhesive and *if it is black *it is the old “cut back” adhesive and it certainly does contain asbestos.

One important thing to note is if the VAT, the piping insulation, and the exterior siding are not broken then they are considered to be “safe”.

• But… Although “safe” it certainly should be mentioned in your report!

When the above-mentioned products are broken or chipped then they can become “airborne” and that is when the problems arise.

absolutely Frank…

the siding is in great shape and possibly under the remaining vinyl siding… the insulation appears in good condition and could be encapsulated to ensure it does not become friable… the tiles are loose in many areas (i did not look at the adhesive, but good to know)…

I am mentioning it all… the client could not attend but we are doing a walk through on Friday when she flies in… (contractors in tow…)

Generally we come across one or the other… this home had a little of everything in it… it was an asbestos training home…

Jeff,

I run into those same asbestos materials quite a bit down here. Generally, asbestos-containing materials do not have to be removed from any residential property. In fact, asbestos-containing material does not have to be removed from any residential structures unless it will be disturbed during renovations or demolition activities. As long as the asbestos-containing material is in good condition, in tact and will not be disturbed; it does not pose a significant health risk. It’s when asbestos is exposed and friable, flaking or crumbling, and that it’s likely to become airborne, is when I recommend encapsulation or professional removal by properly licensed personnel.

Removal should never be attempted by the homeowner. This action requires special equipment and detailed training which would generally be too expensive and time-consuming for a homeowner to acquire for a one-time job. Removal is also the last choice among alternatives because it poses the most risk of fiber release if not done properly.

Even though Asbestos appears to be in good shape in this particular home, it’s always noted.

Jeff,
Q: It sounds like you think they should have check YES on the disclosure statement… no?

We all know, that you can’t confirm material makeup, unless suspect materials are tested. i.e. as you stated “asbestos-like qualities” isn’t it only right to give the seller the same liability exclusion as you? It is in fact a non deceiving answer: “unknown” until testing confirms presence… Just playing devils advocate. But thats why we are in the business. Nice pictures.

It looks like my first home. I lived in a Levitt home in Bowie, MD. The same as the more famous Levitt towns you may have heard about in NY and PA. My house had Asbestos floor tile with asbestos mastic, asbestos cement siding, aluminum wiring, lead paint and the below grade ducts that ran through the slab. (These would fill with water on some lots.) I had also heard that there was asbestos in the drywall mud but I never confirmed that one.
I lived in and worked on these houses for almost 30 years. Its amazing that I’m still alive. :wink:
People there tended not to freak out about it because every house, and it was thousands of them, all had the same materials. The floors were carpeted over and if people wanted new siding they would just vinyl over the asbestos. The housing stock in the area was also generally older so people were more accustomed to these things.
The sad thing is that I actually miss these older houses. The area I live in now has some of the crappiest housing stock I have ever seen. All these homes have moldy crawlspaces, cracked foundations, bouncy joists, furnaces shoehorned into 18 inch high crawlspaces, hardboard siding, and PB pipes. There is apparently been no oversight in the building process since 1985.
I wonder what we will talk about 20 years from now on homes built today.
Remember when we used plastic for water pipes! Oh the horror…

An excellent real life example to highlight the need for a home inspection. Most folks don’t have a clue what asbestos is, why its harmful and what products likely contain it.

Asbestos containting products and materials. www.asbestos.com/products/

Hello Peter…

You beat me to it. I think it is a truthful answere, if they have never had it sampled/tested. Any ‘smart’ inspector would never say it was/contained asbestos, without testing it first. Therefore… Unknown.

Jeff

no way would i EXPECT them to check YES… just pointing out that it said unknown… just sharing because It’s the first home with all three examples in it… its an estate sale so the sellers have no idea if it has doors and windows let alone asbestos.

thanks for all the imput… contractors were there yesterday and they had no problems calling it out… LOL… “of course we’ll have our guy come into remove that properly” referring to the pipe insulation when installing a new boiler…:mrgreen:

just to be clear… I did not tell them it WAS… only of the possibility and it should be tested to confirm before ripping anything out…

Of course. I never inferred you did. Just commenting on what you posted, so maybe a newby reading, did not get the wrong impression.