Pool pump not bonded or grounded

There is no grounding or bonding system at this property, including the pool pump. The pool deck is concrete and in the mechanical room beneath it there’s re-bar sticking out to which I could ground the pump (filter case is plastic). Pool has no lights, so the only electrical connection is through the pump.
Will grounding the pump to the rebar make swimming any safer?

System has both fuses and breakers installed. See some photos of equipment here.

I’m not inspecting this, I don’t inspect pools, but this is where I live and I swim in this pool.

Install a GFCI breaker for the pump.

You are grounding the motor in the housing where the other wires are connected. The bond should be on the outside of the motor, and connected to all other metallic items.
No ground is present on the outside of the pump.

Good suggestion.

I know the theory of how it should be, but that has nothing to do with what I’m dealing with Sean, I’m not groundiong anything, there is no bonding or grounding anywhere here, no EGC anywhere on the property. No grounding electrode system. I just want to make the pool safer and the pump is the main item of concern.
About all I can do is ground it to rebar if that will make a difference.

Do you mean bonding the motor/pump, not grounding?
The grounding can be back at the circuit breaker/fuse box for the equipment, did you happen to check there?
Or is the motor/pump simply plugged into a grounded outlet?
So you say there’s none of anything present…

Good suggestion.

I know the theory of how it should be, but that has nothing to do with what I’m dealing with Sean. This is not a conventional home, there is no bonding or grounding anywhere here, no EGC in the electrical system. No grounding electrode system. I just want to make the pool safer and the pump is the main item of concern.
About all I can do is ground it to rebar if that will make a difference.

so the wiring to the pool motor is only 2 wires and no ground???
If thats the case then I would be adding a ground rod to the panel and to the pool location as well.

Jim, Jeff or one of the other electricians will be around here shortly…

They’ll help you out.

A ground rod will do nothing for grounding. A hot connected to a ground rod may not even trip the breaker.

You do not ground to rebar. That would be a bond.

Is the pump double insulated ?

There’s the question of the day right there.
I think if you add a complete ground circuit with the pool it could be dangerous.

But the rebar should be bonded too.

The rebar would be bonded to other metallic items around the pool. If there are none there is nothing to bond to.

I don’t know how to tell. I’ll go look, maybe it tells on the data plate.

The rebar in the pool deck is not bonded to the electrical system. It’s useful as a grounding electrode only. Nothing here is bonded or grounded. Strictly 2-wire everywhere.

I bought a GFCI breaker. The instructions say to install only to a grounded system.

Yes, two wires only. For the entire property. I have rebar embedded in concrete to use as a grounding electrode. A UFER.

The electrical conductors for the motor are spliced into that rusty panel you see in post #1.

I thought grounding the pump would ensure that it is at zero potential and allow the breaker to trip more quickly. Now I really don’t know what to do. I’m afraid to go into the pool.

Data plate general translation:

motor monofasico C.A. abierto a prueba de goteo
aranque pro capacitor con prot termico
single phase motor C.A open drip proof
Ramp up pro capacitor with thermal protection

nunca maniobrar con la linia energizada.
La protección térmica se restablece automáticamente. Para evitar riesgos leer el instructivo de operacion.
Never maneuver the energized line.
Thermal protection is automatically reset. To avoid risks read the instructions for operation.

AISL is the abbreviation for aislamiento, which means INSULATION. So as far as whether it’s double insulated, I guess I need to find out what “B” stands for.

negro black
amarillo yellow
blanco white
verde green
azul blue
rojo red
Café brown

baja tension low voltage (127 vac)
alta tension high voltage (240 vac)

Residential electrical in México is 127/240 vac

I bought a GFCI breaker. The instructions say to install only to a grounded system.

Yes, two wires only. For the entire property. I have rebar embedded in concrete to use as a grounding electrode. a UFER.

The electrical conductors for the motor are spliced into that half-ashed junction box you see in post #1.

Isnt it 127/220 since its a 3 phase wye transformer on the pole?

Anyway that pump is a big no-no.

No, a ground rod will not do anything.

Apparently the pump is double-insulated. He swears it’s not a problem.