Pre-drywall, are these okay?

I am working towards being comfortable performing pre-drywall inspections and was scrolling through some images posted by a local builder. I had a couple of thoughts that I wanted some opinions on.

In this picture, is it acceptable for the dimensional lumber joists to rest on the i-joists like they do? (Notched on the bottom) I have limited working experience with i-joists, but I have only seen a webbing brace and a joist hanger used before. This method seems to put a lot of strain on just the bottom flange.

In the this pic, would you say anything about the duct being restricted? I know that i-joists can tolerate the large holes, but I wondered if it would be preferable to run more smaller diameter ducts that are not constricted.

Any other defects you would point out?
Thank you all for any answers!

The first one is a grainy picture but if you are speaking of the joists to the upper left in general no. However you would also need to read the I-Joist manufacturer instructions. When I encounter questionable items I always go back and pull the manufacturer requirements. I have been caught flatfooted before when a manufacturer changed something they did not allow for years and I was running under their previous requirements. Looking it up also ensures I have a proper link to provide the client so they can see it as well.

For the ductwork I call it out every time I see it! Ductwork sizes are designed for the home/system and any restrictions can change the design of the system and impede air flow.

The pictures are to grainy to see much else with clarity. However other pieces of advice.

• Don’t use pictures that you did not take yourself. You may find yourself in a bit of trouble later for it.
  • If you are going to perform phase inspections become intimately familiar with the Building Codes used to build the home. Builders do not care about your opinions but citing the Building Codes and other relevant sources no longer make it your opinion. It also helps the client when they go back to the Builder for corrections.
  • You are not a client advocate you are an Inspector! Do not insert yourself between the client and Builder. You inspect, report, and support your client with any needed information to approach the Builder themselves. Getting between them never works out and places you in a bad situation.
4 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I am not using the picture other than for my own practice. I had to zoom in on the screenshot to hide the builder which is why it is grainy.

I am working on a couple of InterNACHI courses for code inspections. Do you recommend any specific courses or ICC certifications? Thanks again!

I recommend obtaining all four residential ICC certifications; E1, M1, P1, B1. Obtaining the certs at least puts you on the road to understanding the Codes.

I also recommend studying The National electrical Code (NEC) as many jurisdictions use this over the ICC Electrical code and sections of IRC.

Any course you take is going to help and INACHI has at least one such course now that I keep seeing pop up on this BB for discussion (The 2021 IRC Exam Study Course). I would concentrate on all free courses first to get a handle on a decent understanding of the Codes. Only then would I pay for a course and only if it appears decent. By then you will know enough to make good use of your paid course.

There are plenty of other online sources for obtaining good and free training to understand the various codes. One of my favorites for structural issues is Simpson Strong-Tie whose materials you will encounter frequently. They are staffed by excellent Engineers and others who write good courses (both online and free in person) and many Blogs/Articles covering various code aspects. Once you get moving on finding sources you will be amazed at how many are out there.

4 Likes

Thank for the information!!

This source may be helpful…

1 Like

Thank you, ill check it out!

1 Like