Professional/ Technical/ Correct way to describe condition

Good Evening Gentlemen
Can someone give an intelligent/ professional way to describe this condition? It appears that the Vapor Barrier is deteriorated and a DIY approach has been taken to remedy the situation.
#1, is that a correct analysis?
#2. what is a clear and concise way to call it out and recommend a remediation solution
Thank You for any help
Matt

You are correct. Write up what you see. And refer.

Research “Owl-flex”.

FWIW, this is a very common defect with gray flex duct (Owl flex, Goodman, and others) where the outer liner rips, tears, and splits open. This gray liner deteriorates in high heat and from UV exposure. As you see, the fiberglass insulation then starts to spill out, exposing the inner core. Duct leakage and condensation are the obvious problems.

It all needs to be replaced, repairs are not possible.

Thank You Roy. I always appreciate your clear and concise input…Just the fact, yep

Thanks for the direction Dom in researching this through. much appreciated

#1— Defective…
#2— Repair/Replace as needed

The plastic wrap around the insulation and ductwork in the attic is damaged. An attempt has been made to try to fix these areas but not correctly.

I recommend a qualified HVAC technician correct the damage as needed.

Thanks Larry. always count on you, That is what I put, but validation from smart folks is always helpful:muscle:

Only The outer lining of the flex is visibly damaged. Although there is an inner flex duct, and the insulation is in tact. Unless you saw a hole or cut, or missing insulation that exposed the inner flex that leaked air, I would not call it a defect, but an improvement since the insulation and inner flex is in tact. It doesn’t look like the inner flex is compromised from the pics. The flex with the Mylar would be an appropriate replacement to be installed by an HVAC technician.

1 Like

That’s a bit lame, IMO. The product is listed and labeled as an assembled component, and that assembly includes all the layers be intact.

That damaged duct product gets worse with time/age and exposure to attic environments. It doesn’t “self-seal” and can’t be effectively repaired (unless you’re talking about a small tear or rip from accidental contact). I’ve seen all kinds of improvised repairs using garbage bags, tarps, miles of duct tape, hiding it with extra insulation, etc.

Those photos the OP posted show ductwork that is clearly past it’s prime.

1 Like

I just testified in small claims court against a HI that did not report this same type of damage to flex duct the client won a $1500.00 judgement. I just luv testifying against HI’S that F Up

" We noted the vapor barrier was damaged on the flex duct at one location.
Recommend this be properly repaired and/or replaced as to prevent leakage of conditioned air."

" We noted the vapor barrier was damaged on the flex duct at one location.
Recommend this be properly repaired and/or replaced as to prevent leakage of conditioned

Ya don’t leak air because the vapor barrier is damaged ya have duct temp lost

Shut up! :grinning:

Ya just thought I was gone I can not wait to meet you in a court room

You ain’t nothing but a bull shitter.
After 40 plus years of doing this I haven’t had one single complaint.

Your BS is up to your eye brows ya old fart:laughing:

How you doing Charles?
Is retirement doing you good?
Always nice hearing from you.

I am doing great but my son (partner) is in a wheel chair some crazy auto immune disease paralyzed his legs from the hip down doc said it would be a year before he would walk again.

Damn Sir.
Sorry to hear about that.
We will pray for him.