HVAC Duct support

Hello All, I’m a newbie and just looking for a little wisdom. I believe I’m making this much more complicated than it needs to be but this is my very first paid report. How would you vets write this up? Thanks

Looks like a “hacked-up” or damaged section of Owl Flex duct that needs to be replaced.

Word it in however your narrative/writing style or format may be…

1 Like

As long as its not restricting flow, perfectly acceptable to hang flex duct with strapping.
The problem is the flow restriction is high to begin with compared to rigid. Then to have an area improperly supported becomes a real problem.

2 Likes

Looks sketchy. That first support could be restricting airflow. The whole setup looks pieced together. Recommend HVAC contractor to further evaluation. Also no proper vapor barrier in the crawl and no insulation.

Evening, Carl.
Welcome to the MB.

Unconditioned space.

Questions.
A: What is the duct for?
B: Supply or exhaust duct.

Looking forward to your answer.

It’s been “repaired” and needs replacement.

2 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Carl!..Enjoy! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Testing…Testing… Is my Microphone on??? TAP!..TAP…TAP!! Testing… Can anyone hear me???

Evening, Carl.
Welcome to the MB.

Unconditioned space.

Questions.
A: What is the duct for?
B: Supply or exhaust duct.
Hard to give the right answerer without knowing what the duct is for.

Looking forward to your answer.

Supply, return it doesn’t matter. Dominic has the correct answer. It’s a hack job and needs to be corrected by a licensed HVAC contractor.

Morning, Martin.
Hope this post finds you well.

The OP posted, " this is my very first paid report."
I am sure this new home inspector would avoid client complaints to, God forbid litigation, by taking prudent steps by taking images of equipment manufacturing model and serial numbers, as well as what vents are on the envelop and correlating said vents to the systems they represent.

As well, the space maybe conditioned.

Now, I am not disputing what Dominic posted per say.
I want to know the vent classification.

Good morning Robert. Insulated ducts. Insulated rim joist. Uninsulated foundation. I have my opinion whether the space is conditioned or not. I don’t need the serial number of any appliance. A incorrectly repaired HVAC duct is in need of correction.

It was poor workmanship.
Other than that, we are ill informed.

The manufacture installation instruction supersede code.

I am sure the client would like to understand what the vent was for was all I was eluding to.
The new inspector may likely have to explain himself during a post inspection review.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I really do appreciate it. I thought I had been responding but apparently I need to become more familiar with this discussion forum.
FYI- It was an unconditioned space and a supply duct.

:+1: It is restricting flow, so that requires repair.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it!