PUSHY SELLERS

Originally Posted By: qualitycheck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I KNOW YOU ALL HAVE OR WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS PROBLEM.I’D LIKE TO GET SOME FEEDBACK ON THIS TOPIC.WHILE PERFORMING AN INSPECTION WITH MY CLIENT AND SELLER PRESENT,I MADE A “CALL” ON A PROBLEM I FOUND WITH THE ROOF OF THE STRUCTURE,AND MADE A NOTE OF IT.THE SELLER GLANCED OVER MY SHOULDER AND WAS READING MY NOTES, AND PULLED ASIDE MY CLIENT AND ARGUED THAT I WAS MAKING THIS UP JUST TO GET A BETTER DEAL FOR THEM, AND THAT THERE WAS NO PROBLEM WITH THE ROOF. REMEMBER THAT I DID NOT MAKE THE “CALL” OUT LOUD, BUT ONLY MADE A NOTE OF IT. I WOULD NOT MAKE A CALL ALOUD TO ALARM THE BUYER OR SELLER. HAVE ANY OF YOU HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM,AND HOW DID YOU DEAL WITH IT?

Originally Posted By: rwills

QC, Of course we all run into this issue at varying degrees at some time or another. Here’s what I do: 1-Most of the time when the buyer(my client) is with me I give them home maintenance advice as I go or answer any questions they may have. If I find a problem I make a note and don’t alarm them at each and every instance but, disclose what I feel they should know at the end of inspection. 2- I learned a long time ago to keep my notebook close at hand and don’t let ANYONE see it or watch what I write. (nunya). At the end I get alone with the client one way or another and give them the rundown and let them know everything will be in more detail in the finished report…Bob

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Of course their is really no "one " answer to this one. I usually suggest to the seller if they are so certain nothing is wrong they should be willing to let a professional offer their opinion on the matter and you should make the arrangements right now with the buyer. That really shuts them up! Stand your ground when you know you are right. Keep in mind though there are usually twelve different ways it could be fixed any one of which being the correct way to fix it. Let the professional decide what should be fixed and how, just report the problem as you “see it”. Offering specific ideas on how to fix them makes trouble for everyone, especially you. You should also let you client know, no matter what the seller states, you are not there to help negotiate. Real estate agents do that and you are there to protect your client. Always be nice and polite to everyone but if they persist to the point of interfering with the inspection invite the client to go over the report somewhere else with you, like outside. Hope this helps

Joe Myers

A & N Inspections, Inc.

http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: Ben Gromicko

No matter what, be polite.

Don't argue with anyone, even with an angry seller.

Communicate what you have observed to your client directly, excusing yourself and your client from the room if necessary.

Sometimes, a cold shoulder to the seller helps.

Then, afterwards, I quietly sneak upstairs, clog the toilet and leave Joe Myer's business card.
:D

--
Benjamin John Gromicko
Vice-President,
PEACH Inspections
NACHI & ASHI Member

1 Like

Ben,

I was wondering why nobody was calling me! :P

Joe Myers

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

1 Like

Originally Posted By: Daniel Keogh

My partner Ben and I disagree a little on this issue. I believe that you should never allow the seller to follow you around on a home inspection. I ask the sell politly not to follow the buyer and me around. I state that I need to discuss the house objectivly with my client and that there persents will make that dificult. If the seller does not except this I politely tell them that my report is confidential and the exlusive property of my clients. You should never let the seller see your notes or the report ( if you print out on the spot) There are legal issue involved here ( confidentiality ,discolsure and the negociation of a real estate contrat ) and you chould find yourslef in the middle of something you rather stay out of. Be polite but hold your ground.

For those inspectors in PA
YOU SHOULD NEVER DISCUSS DEFEACTS WITH THE SELLER UNLESS YOU HAVE THE BUYERs PERMISION. If you do you are breaking the law and are betraying your buyers trust.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Before I start the inspection, I ask the Buyer if it’s okay to discuss of disclose what I may find during the inspection with (1) their agent, (2) seller, and (3) sellers agent. I also ask to sit down with the parties who may be present (agents from both sides, seller and buyer) to discuss what I will and will not be doing. I invite the buyer to accompany me if they like, and give them a 2-way radio if they are not tagging along. I set the ground rules before doing any real inspecting. I also tell all parties how long I expect the inspection to take, barring any unforseen delays. I then ask the seller some simple questions about the home, like how long they’ve lived there, if they were the original owners, if they ever had a major repair or upgrade performed (like heating, roof doors, windows, water heater, kitchen, etc.) I also ask if they built anything, like a deck, room, or patio, etc since they’ve been there. Some agents freak out by this. Some REALLY freak out. Hey, the way I see it, it’s my job to discover the MOST about the home in the three hours I’m there, that is possible. Homeowners are a great source of information. Agents believe that I am endangering the sale by “disclosing” the seller in this manner. The buyer may hear something that they don’t like. Oh, well…

As far as an angry seller goes, I agree with Ben... walk away, clog the toilet, and leave Joe M's card...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

1 Like

DA**, I am never going to get any work around here.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rwills

Joe F, If asking the seller questions about the property PO’s the agent Oh well, That’s life. I actually have a separate Homeowner Interview sheet that has a series of questions that I ask the Seller AND get them to sign! To top it off I’ve never had an agent question it or stop me from doing it. Of course I don’t use it if the seller is not there…Bob

That is nice Bob that you do that. Unfortunately in the real world sometimes that would cause problems with the real estate transaction.

While I would say that 50% of my clients, agents and sellers are pretty good about corrections, some are not.

With the other 50% it turns into a real battle. I try to stay clear of the battles and I am pretty straight forward about letting everyone know I am just there to find the defects with the property.

I do not tell anyone to pay to fix anything. I tell them upfront any safety hazards which need corrected and I also let them know I really do not care who pays for it, it should be done ASAP!! icon_smile.gif

Joe Myers

1 Like

Originally Posted By: jremas

Sounds like a tough balance between doing your job and not getting the RE Agent PO’d. I would prefer the walk around and inspection be limited to the buyer and myself. We can discuss the findings when we are done.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’ve been building quite the reputation with both the seller and the buyer. Sellers are welcome to follow me, but not interfere. I had a seller help me fugure out why the awning windows would not close in the atrium area the other day. He asked quite a few questions. And, yes, I found several defects. In the end, the buyer’s agent was blown away by my demeanor, expertise, and delivery. The buyers loved me. The SELLER wants me to travel an hour and a half to inspect a home he wants to buy. You never know.

Couple of things I did prior to the inspection: Asked agent if it was okay to talk to the seller and get him to disclose some stuff (this is always sticky). Had the seller sign a non-interference agreement for the radon test. It was a BEAUTIFUL thing. Even got paid to plow the sellers driveway before I left the property. Buyer's referring me. Agent's referring me. Seller's referring me... icon_cool.gif

Joe F.

You the man!!!!

Joe Myers