PVC waste lines

Hi all,

Can black pvc and white pvc pipe be used together. I thought I heard that they weren’t compatible. I just saw this on an inspection and was wondering if it was okay. Black pvc into a white pvc coupling then white pipe then white coupling then black pipe. Tried posting a picture but I couldn’t reduce it down in size enough. Thanks in advance.

**abs/pvc transition cement
**green, medium body, fast set
For joining ABS to PVC pipe and fittings up to 6" diameter. Schedules 40 and 80. Brown label. Meets ASTM D3138.
MSDS #65. Spec Sheet.

http://www.herchem.com/products/images/abs_pvc_60560.jpg

Prod. No.
Size
Pack
Note
Bar Code
1/2 pt.
dauber in cap
1 pt.
jumbo dauber in cap

Try Microsoft Powertoys Image Resizer for reducing your pictures. I resize to 640 x 480 for BB Posting.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

About half way down the right side of the page.

Works great for me.

One or two hundred at a time.

Dale,

I am sure that you know this but here is the code answer as well. ABS and PVC may not be glued together, IRC 3003.5.5, UPC 316.1.6.

Regards

Gerry

Hey Gerry,

I see the IRC reference in P3003.2 Prohibited joints.

1. Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe.

But I can’t find a prohibition in the UPC.

Jeff…you have the 94 UPC…?

Jeff, both codes sited are based on 2000 codes, the 2003 IRC does have a # change to 3003.2 (5)

Regards

Gerry

Nope. I’ve got the 2001 CPC which is based on the 2000 UPC.

STATEMENT OF POSITION ON THE USE OF SOLVENT CEMENTS
FOR TRANSITION JOINTS BETWEEN
ABS AND PVC NONPRESSURE PIPING COMPONENTS

ASTM D 3138 was promulgated to provide a means whereby ABS and PVC nonpressure systems may be effectively joined. The solvent cement specified in this standard is for use only on the single transition joint needed to connect an ABS pipe to a PVC fitting (or a PVC pipe to an ABS fitting).
PPFA supports ASTM D 3138 and does not subscribe to any other interpretation of the standard or use of the solvent cement. This cement shall not be used to mix ABS and PVC pipes and fittings within a system.

**NOTE: **
This PPFA User Bulletin is designed to provide guidance in achieving the efficient, effective and proper use of plastic pipe. The suggestions and advice contained in the Bulletin are offered merely to provide plastic pipe users with a general frame of reference. Because specific situations may and often do require special treatment, the suggestions and advice are obviously not universally applicable. Therefore, the user should carefully assess the requirements of his specific situation before making practical application of anything contained in this publication.

For example, not allowed in Colorado:

**LISTED ON THIS PAGE ARE COMMON GUIDELINES FOR INSTALLING EACH PHASE OF PLUMBING:
**IMPORTANT NOTE: All residences (including small or seasonal cabins) must have a minimum number of fixtures per Colorado’s current code as follows: One water closet, lavatory, bathtub or shower, one laundry tray or automatic washing machine standpipe and one kitchen sink.
**THE UNDERGROUND INSPECTION
The plumbing inspector will check the following:

1. ������ All material must be listed as an approved material in the code including glue and primer

2. ������ Do not mix ABS and PVC pipe materials

3. ������ Proper sizing of all drain waste & vents

4. ������ Proper use of fittings - use all long turn fittings - sanitary tees cannot be used on their backs except for dry vents only Table 706.3

5. ������ Proper grade of piping - minimum 1/4" per foot of fall up to 3" or 1/8" on 3" or larger

6. ������ Protection of piping - where it penetrates concrete, wrap with approximately 1/2" insulation (both water pipe and DWV)

7. ������ Proper cleanout location and accessibility

8. ������ All pipe & fittings must be exposed and have either a 10’ head of water test or a 5 PSI air test at time of inspection

**THE ROUGH-IN INSPECTION
The plumbing inspector will check for the following:

1. ������ All material must be listed as an approved material including glue and primer

2. ������ Do not mix ABS and PVC pipe materials

3. ������ Proper sizing of all drain waste & vents (DWV) and water pipe

4. ������ Proper use of fittings - use all long turn fittings - sanitary tees cannot be used on their backs except for dry vents only

(see table 706.3)

1. ������ All pipes & fittings protected with approved nail plates

2. ������ Approved hangers and supports with proper spacing

3. ������ Proper water pipe material - either PEX, copper or CPVC and approved CPVC orange glue with purple primer

4. ������ Proper cleanout location and accessibility

5. ������ All DWV pipe and fittings must be exposed and have either a 10’ head of water or a 5 PSI air test at time of inspection

6. ������ Water pipe test at working pressure or 50 PSI for 15 minutes

7. ������ P traps on showers shall be installed for rough-in.

8. ������ All tub and shower units installed

9. ������ All tub and shower valves installed

All plumbing or gas piping installations must be inspected prior to covering. All tests shall be done by the permit holder.
**THE GAS PIPE INSPECTION
The plumbing inspector will check for the following:

1. ������ Proper material used: Black iron pipe, screw or welded joints

2. ������ Proper pipe joint compound

3. ������ Properly sized for BTU demand load

4. ������ Proper support & hangers

5. ������ Approved shut off valves

6. ������ Approved appliance connectors

7. ������ Water heater flue - type B vent & cap

8. ������ A 10 PSI air test for 15 minutes

**THE FINAL PLUMBING INSPECTION The inspector will check the following:

1. ������ All fixtures set with water turned on

2. ������ Water shut-off valve on all fixtures

3. ������ All fixtures have proper spacing

4. ������ Air gap on dishwasher and other fixtures

5. ������ Cleanout covers & accessibility

6. ������ Approved fixtures

7. ������ Water heater temperature and pressure relief valve drain line piped to an approved drain or outside the building indirectly.

8. ������ Back flow prevention device on boiler water supply

9. ������ Combustion air for water heater

10. ������ Water heater pan under water heaters on a wooden floor

11. ������ Gas pipe outlets not hooked to an appliance shall be capped

[RIGHT]g:\forms\ho_info_IPC.doc
revised 5/2006 [/RIGHT]

Yes, u can convert from white pvc to abs without any issue as long as the proper transitional cement is used. We do it all the time, our 4" sewerlines are pvc drainline (green sewer pipe)from there we install a 4" transitional sleeve and convert to abs. If your really concerned u can make the transition with a fernco. Just be sure to use a torque wrench when tightening the hoseclamps as a drill and nut driver can create to much torque and strip the hoseclamps.

Jeff, Good Logo!

Zombie thread resurrected from the dead.