QOD for 10/23/08 Electrical

Thanks Gerry and nice talking to you last night.
These things of the like educate all of us at the same time.
I also, learned something from this that I was not aware of.

Though it might look like we feel ignorant to some of these facts, it all helps us indirectly to make better informed Home Inspectors.

Hope there is more to come.

Thanks

Marcel :):smiley:

thanks Gerry …this was a great question…when we all get a chance to learn…everybody wins…

Great question Gerry

I am just amazed that people keep voting wrong many hours fter the correct answer was posted…in my own defense I voted wrong before the correct answer was posted…lol…jim

Jim, look again, I had forgot to vote. Now there is one correct answer. :mrgreen:

I am with you though, My vote would have been 1960. :wink:

Hey, I win.

Marcel :):smiley:

Well said, and … um… Ditto! :oops:

If I had answered prior to reading the link G-man provided I would of said the 60’s.

I almost voted before edumacating (I’m is a college drop out ya know) :mrgreen: myself as well … look at it from this perspective - answer the question with your current knowlege then research the answer. Some feel they learn more this way. Plus it’s not a graded test or certification. :wink:

lol…the above was copied from WIKI something…anyway I enjoyed reading it but when i read that electricity is going to the earth i CRINDGE…I am sure that was their intent early on…then realized that as the requirements of OCPD’s came onto the techno front…they learned that the EGC was more for clearing OCPD’s and so on and that electricity is NEVER trying to get to the earth…but in fact is trying to get to the source of its “creation” ( ie: transformer in most cases, Generators in other cases )

Anyway…I found it rather interesting that it was being thought of and contemplated back in the 20’s even.

Ironically enough I read where the first grounded receptacle was in the 1951 NEC-

Homes built prior to the early 1960′s were most commonly wired with a two-wire system, absent of the modern third wire being an equipment ground wire. The first requirement for grounded receptacles in residential construction dates back to 1951 when the NEC® (National Electrical Code) required laundry areas to have grounded receptacles. Devices and locations have been added to this requirement until the grounded system is a requirement throughout a modern residential home.

go figure!

The 1970"s:mrgreen: