QOD for 10/23/08 Electrical

Hi to all,

here is a very interesting question, with a surprising answer :shock:

Regards

Gerry

answer

Barry,
I couldn’t find the answer on the page. Can you be a little more specific?
Thanks

Reread NEMA 1-15 or check your PM
hth

Barry,

Nope, that section doesn’t address the question.

You all know me better than that, if the question looks simple there’s usually a trap :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

Have fun

BTW, the correct answer can be found here , happy reading :wink:

Regards

Gerry

there’s a lot of good information there Gerry…not quite through it myself but good stuff …

I agree Jim, that is the best thing I have read this year, it’s very informative, a required read for all home inspectors.

Regards

Gerry

Barry, that might be when it was first invented, but when was it actually used in the building residential market.?

I can go back to the early 60’s and not find three prong receptacles in Maine. I know Maine is ten years behind time, ha. ha., but I think it took a while for the three prongs to hit the markets in general.

Marcel :):smiley:

but the question is when were they first required …not first available…that is quite a difference I think…

Interestingly, grounded outlets were first granted patent in 1928 if I remember correctly.

Regards

Gerry

I agree with that Gerry, but as Jim said, when was it first required?

My guess would be:
The first NEC requirements for grounded receptacles in residences was for bathrooms and kitchens. This requirement was in place by 1961. The NEC requirement for all receptacles to be grounded was some time after 1965.

And I am guessing, can’t find backup. ha. ha.

Yes, that’s what I found.

I’d say that puts Maine farther than 10 years behind but all the states waited quite a while it appears. :slight_smile:

Some History of Residential Wiring Practices in the U.S**.**

http://www.electricity.state.mn.us/pdf/GFCI_history.pdf

Thanks Chris, that was a good link.

You can thank Gerry, I probably wouldn’t have found it without his question. Though I did answer yesterday, 60’s. Looks now like kind of a trick question. :slight_smile:

Hi to all,

OK this one is going to be fun :wink:

The correct answer is 1940’s

Regards

Gerry

Gerry,

This isn’t the first or last time this chump has been stumped.
Thanks for the education, I guess :wink: :oops:

Hi mate, you’re far from being alone on that one, in fact if I had been answering that question prior to this week I would have also got it wrong, I knew the outside 3 pins went back to the 50’s, but I don’t think I ever read about the laundry issue prior to that.

I guess we all learn something, ain’t that the way it should be? :wink:

Regards

Gerry

I didn’t know they had washing machines and dryers in the 40’s. :wink:

good question and information …not that i or anyboby else got it right are You planning on making us look stupid again tomorrow Gerry ???