QOD for 6/2/04 (Electrical)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Little background, I’m about 5’9 I stood on the deck and took this picture. With my arms slightly bent on the elbow I can touch this service inlet line. The grandkids would love to swing on the table that is directly under neath the line and had about 3’ clearance.

![](upload://3YoNmP9n3osQOjYjVdDvNG9v8jq.jpeg)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: DGrattan

I think it should be Federally mandated that these lines are at least 14’4",

but then being a former truck driver - I like to see all wires up high!!

From experience - I have snagged these low wires!

Originally Posted By: psabados

Whats bad is, that the cable ties look to have been replaced recently. In the midwest area we have frequent ice storms that play havoac with trees and overhead power lines. Wouldn’t be a bit surpised that the pole is over 300 ft away with a nice droop or sag from the pole to house.

Whats really surprising is that the power company, will come out and put it right back in the same place with no conditions that the system be upgraded with a new mast and weatherhead and set to a higher and safer height. Talk about a home safety issue!

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-Minus 237 and counting

Originally Posted By: dbush

Paul, sure ruin tomorrow’s picture icon_lol.gif . The line lays across the detached garage roof (literally).

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jpope

the driveway.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Gino Conner

I would say it’s an area accessible only to people, not vehicles, so I’ll go with 10 feet. 2002 NEC 230.24 (B)(1)

Code:
230.24(B) Vertical Clearance from Ground. Service-drop conductors, where not in excess of 600 volts, nominal, shall have the following minimum clearance from final grade:
(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) ? at the electric service entrance to buildings, also at the lowest point of the drip loop of the building electric entrance, and above areas or sidewalks accessible only to pedestrians, measured from final grade or other accessible surface only for service-drop cables supported on and cabled together with a grounded bare messenger where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground.