Q's about common finds during a foundation inspection

Hey guys, I encountered these observations fairly regularly, as I am sure you do as well, and was just curious on how you report on them.

(1) Do you all report on this type of modified concrete wall? No noticeable cracking found near this area

(2) I get conflicting answers on this from people in my circle, but the paper side of the insulation should be facing the home, am I right?

(3) Do you report on faulty grade under the structure like this?

Thanks, guys, appreciate all your help and input.

#1: Report damage and surrounding materials conditions where applicable. Sill was notched for a component.
#2: Think of the crawlspace as a system. Vapor Barrier or Vapor Retarder. Crawl Space Moisture Barrier Placement Guide
#3: Report exposed soil and disturbed soil in crawlspaces anytime. Look at the efflorescence on the left foundation wall. Likely digging a pit for a sump pit.
Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I concur with Robert:

1. Yes, damage (a result of ???moisture/freezing in foundation wall???)
  2. Absolutely, Kraft paper up. Also, missing monolithic and sealed crawl space soil cover.
  3. Yes. Is that the foundation wall in the background?? If so, reference to the cone of compression.

Great, thank you for that input.

Would you guys recommend the notched sill be further evaluated in your report or just note the observed defect? I am just curious on the seriousness you would put this notch. On a scale 1-10 how are you bringing up this in your report or summary with clients?

btw, this crawl space is in southern California. This does not change the direction of the vapor barrier right? the warmer side of the home should have the paper facing it.

I wouldnt say anything about it. It’s not affecting the bearing capability at all

4 Likes

Consider the purpose of the sill and the consequence of the observed condition, and you will come to a conclusion.

4 Likes