QUESTION about HVAC/Electrical Question

I have just finished the HVAC Inspection course. As a requirement we are to inspect an HVAC system & it’s components. As a result, I came across what I believe to be an serious issue, but was not really sure.

In the picture below you can see the gas supply line to the furnace. Wrapped around the gas line is electric wires that are connected by wire nuts. This can not be safe or up to code is it? Is this acceptable? Is it a hazard (I believe it is)?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Marty (future home inspector)

Can 24vac burn through a gas pipe without blowing a .5amp fuse?

That’s thermostat wire.

It’s a lousy practice because it makes it difficult to work on the gas line if necessary (but that’s a rare event). I would not comment on the control wiring being in contact with the gas piping.

[quote=“mmoushey, post:1, topic:96391”]

I have just finished the HVAC Inspection course. As a requirement we are to inspect an HVAC system & it’s components. As a result, I came across what I believe to be an serious issue, but was not really sure.

In the picture below you can see the gas supply line to the furnace. Wrapped around the gas line is electric wires that are connected by wire nuts. This can not be safe or up to code is it? Is this acceptable? Is it a hazard (I believe it is)?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Marty (future home inspector)/QUOTE

Please post the code your talking about…

I try to learn something new every day.

Not an issue…

Jeff

Sloppy workmanship on the part of the installer but not an issue.

I believe the problem is that Marty needs to learn the difference between line voltage wiring and low voltage wiring. The picture shows low voltage wiring - thermostat wiring. Time to take the electrical course now…

This installer routed the Romex through the cabinet below the burners and back out the other side, to supply power to the humidifier.

[quote=“bdoles2, post:9, topic:96391”]

This installer routed the Romex through the cabinet below the burners and back out the other side, to supply power to the humidifier.
Now Brian whoever did that one is a special kind of stupid.

Now Brian whoever did that one is a special kind of stupid.