Question about main disconnect requirements

1930’s house. The meter is located on the garage with the main service panel behind that inside. This panel has 6 breakers, one of which is a 100 amp for the house located downstream (assuming this panel is the main as I can not open the panel due to drywall over the bottom screw). The panel in the house has several breakers, none of which is main disconnect.
My question is if the panel in the garage and the 6 breakers are acceptable as the main disconnect (6 throws of the hand)?
FYI-there are other infractions that warrants the need for an electrician to further review the panels, this is for my clarification about the main disconnect requirements.
Cheers

If the main is in a detached garage, the panel in the house would need its own disconnect (or must meet the 6 throws rule). The panel in the house would also be a sub-panel in this case.

Yes, acceptable. Just like in a split-bus panel.

This was my feeling. That since the main disconnect is not in the house, the house will need either a disconnect or 6 throws.

Simon, you say it is acceptable. Is that assuming the garage is attached (which it is not, sorry I did not mention that)?

1 Like

The rule is not more than ‘six disconnecting means for each service.’
The “six breaker throw rule”, was a requirement in the National Electrical Code. A service must have have a main disconnect that shuts off all power. It cannot take more than six switch throws to do it.
It was eliminated in the 2020 edition (NEC 230.71). So any new electrical installations require a single main breaker, (1) per panel, to shut off all power.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall of a Siemens and Murray circuit breaker.
Siemens stopped producing Murray brand panels in 2019.
This recall involves Siemens and Murray 15 through 50 AMP single and double pole circuit breakers, load centers (circuit breakers that come with an electrical panel), and meter combos (contain a load center and a meter socket). “Siemens” or “Murray,” date codes 0610 or 0710 and the catalog number are printed on a label on the side of the circuit breakers. Date codes between June 2010 through August 2010 are stamped on the inside of the metal box of the load centers and meter combos. The catalog number for the load centers and meter combos is printed on a label inside the metal box door and on the packaging.

According to Siemens, the recall involves approximately 2.2 million circuit breakers.

Thank you very much sir. Very great information to know.
I did read the 2020 update and had a little hard time deciphering the language. This clarifies it.

1 Like

That’s correct. Every separate structure needs a means of disconnect that meets the guidelines.

1 Like