Question for Joe Burkeson... we're stumped over at MICB. Help.

Gee I don’t know they will not communicate with me .
I am like many others both members and none members OAHI/CAHPI just ignore those who wish to find out the truth.
I expect some day it will be like the house of cards just come tumbling down.
Hope I live long enough to find out the full story.
Many great Canadian members are so disappointed.
Roy Cooke Sr

SUGGESTIONS:

Some states have laws that will help verify things… and their methods of approving applicants might be useful.

In Texas, the State requires you turn in at least 3 notorized letters from local business people to verify your claim of “previous construction experence” … if you claim this when applying.

They also require you to turn in copies of your logs (names and addresses) of several hundred (not sure of the number… I forgot) inspections before they will allow you the right to “sponsor” other inspectors.

So with a few logs, notorizes letters, and certificates of completion you can verify most anything… up to a point.

Here is the problem… I know an inspector who has certifications and pig-skins of education hanging all over his walls… you would be amazed at how many Certification #'s he has listed by his name. But when it comes to doing a truthful home inspection… forget it!!! He works for the local realtors and betrays his customers all the time. He does a lot of work, and has a lot of experience, but don’t hire this guy if you want the truth about your home. He gets most of his work from the realtors.

So you can only verify so much… and then you have got to deal with reality… it will be hard to stop all liars without turning this thing into a “grand jury”. We don’t want a toy certificate, but then again… we are not trying to examine someone for a job with the FBI. :roll:

Keep it simple, fair and yet maintain a qualification level that will add to each CMI’s reputation and achievement.

John McKenna
American Home Inspection
http://texas-inspection.com

The formula with inspection experience and educational experience is far preferable to only one or the other.

With the 1000 combined inspection and hours formula, with at least 100 hours of CE, a person would pretty much need to have been in business for three or more years. At 24 hours of required CE per year for NACHI membership, and an average of 250 inspections per year, the CMI will have proven their commitment to the business, and will at least have outlasted the average number of years one stays in this business, which is around 3.

Experience is easily documented. I had to prove three years experience to get my county license. I had to turn in three years of tax returns, and provide three years of business licenses. Certainly, CMI could require similar and perhaps the first ten and latest ten reports or something like that. If someone is lying about their experience, etc., it will show up in their work and they won’t be around long anyway.

Yes, previous construction, code inspection, inspection education, state and/or local licensing, and other areas should have a place in the formula.

Looks like CMI is on the right track for improvement! Set high standards and the best will achieve!

I see that we’re finally seeing improvement/revisions in the CMI qualifications.

I like your new formula, Nick.