Question for NHIE Advocates...

Talk to Farsetta and change our “hands-off” policy towards association-neutral legislation then.

Everything I do, I do to help members. If as a consequence it helps vendors, so what?

Joe has already published the doctrine that would have NACHI oppose legislation that would be harmful for the consumer and the inspector…without any regard to its positive or negative affect on the association.

It was what was used to run Bowman out of New Hampshire when he was supporting a measure that was opposed by the NH Chapter.

By that doctrine, Bowman would have had the right to be involved, even over the objection of the NH Chapter (if invited in to the state by other NACHI members), if his role was to oppose legislation that would hurt consumers or home inspectors.

We don’t have to invent or re-invent any wheels. We simply need to comply with the policy we have had.

NACHI should never, ever, ever be neutral in matters that cause harm to home inspectors or their clients. Never.

So are you giving Joe permission on deciding if NACHI will fight and/or take legal action a certain bill in a state that harms inspectors and/or consumers? If so will you be willing to back his decisions, no matter what he decides?
No offense, but Joe seems to be more leveled headed about home inspection licensure than most members including you Nick.

Here is what Joe provided on another thread:

When has NACHI gone around supporting bad law? Never.

Where does it say NACHI has promised to be proactive and fight legislation
before and after it passes into law?

When I took the NHIE I had to schedule it three weeks in advance.

I paid my $225.00 and came down with the flu nine days before “Test Day”.

So the bottom line is that I was extremely ill two weeks before the test and did not study.

On the day of the test I was miserable as I had a 103° fever.

I drove one hour to the testing center took the test, found it to be easy, in spite of my illness I passed it, and then drove an hour home.

Man O Man was I mad!

I believe that regardless of whether or not it’s still a psychometrically valid test the lawmakers to be will still look at this test as the best available, that is with the right amount of marketing/lobbying.

ASHI started heavily marketing this as soon as they got it set up and going. Its no secret they financially supported the test, Noel Zak and every aspect of it for several years. Then if you had ASHI board members in a certain states home inspector commission, they would heavily push it - as the ONLY test that could …

Face it they’ve done a great job of pushing it.

AND no its not the only test out there and maybe not the best, but ASHI set it up to outmarket everyone else. Market Domination.

Hi Jim,

The NHIE maintains it’s psychometric validity through a continuous process under the direction of Pearson VUE, they are the exam administrator for EBPHI. Every year four new exams go online, those exams (questions) are based on the current RDS (Role Delineation Study). This is a study of the profession (What is the job of a home inspector) that is done every 3-5 years, or as the profession changes. A new RDS has just been completed and this has generated a new “Exam Blueprint” that will guide the exam for the next 3-5 years. Around 3,000 home inspectors from all of the associations and 1,100 independent or non-affiliated inspectors participated in the RDS.

It is a very expensive task to maintain such a quality exam and one that must be undertaken for the NHIE to maintian its reliability and defensibility. The annual cost just for maintaining the exam is in excess of $100,000 once you average in the cost of performing the RDS.

The overhead and operational cost for EBPHI is very small , except for the maintaining of the exam. With EBPHI being a 501-C6 so profit is not an issue. This is how the EBPHI is able to afford to keep the NHIE updated. The last time that ASHI provided any funding to EBPHI was back in 2001. Since that time EBPHI has been completely self funded. It would be great if any of the other associations would offer monetary grants to EBPHI, and make the NHIE “The Exam” for the profession. With additional funding EBPHI could expand into specialized testing, true third party certifications and more that would not have any association biases. Yes, ASHI started the NHIE but now the exam has been completely independent of ASHI for many years and is open to all associations. Right now ASHI and AII are the only two associations that use the NHIE for their membership exam. With the NHIE being used in around 80% of the licensed states, it would make sense for all of the various associations to use it for their exam as well.

As for the exam being hard or easy? This all depends on the individuals skill sets and knowledge of the subject matter. The more a person knows the easier the exam will appear to be, and conversely the less knowledge the person has the harder the exam will appear to be. It is up to the individual state to set their pass ratio. EBPHI will tell the state that the exam has a projected cut score of **X **amount. This is based on an Angoff analysis that is done by the psychometricians at Pearson VUE and Castle World Wide. Castle is another testing company that is used for the RDS in addition to Pearson VUE. They specialize in performing this type of study.

Scoring is not a simple process, the scoring of an exam has many variable. A good example is if the test taker is answering all of the easy question but missing the hard questions, then the exam will adjust to that persons ability. The same goes if the person is answering all of hard and easy questions with ease, the exam will adjust and the score will reflect that this. In other words not all of the questions are scored the same in the exam, this is called a weighted score system. It is scored in the same manner as the ACT or SAT college entrance exams. This is why you have a score range from 200 to 800 with passing being anything over 500.

Yes, it is complicated and this is why EBPHI hires professional testing companies to take care of the technical aspects of maintaining the NHIE.

Anyway, I hope that this helps to answer some of your questions. I seldom visit this board but I do have an alert set for Google when topics pop up about the NHIE.

Best to all,

Scott

Thanks for answering Jim’s question, Scott.

Damn - Thats amazing. As Scott said, if you got an annual cost of maintaining the exam of about $100,000 +/- and the costs of Noels salary, going to various trade shows, traveling to various states to pitch the test to their states legislative boards, rent, utilities, marketing, etc you easily got $200,000 or more per year to keep it running.

Then when you factor in the costs and the percentage of the $225 test fee that they pay the group(s) that give the thing - I would guess the NHIE has gotta have easily over at least 1,500 or more test takers a year to just break even.

No wonder they gotta keep pushing that puppy forward.

I’ll bet the International Code Council could do it cheaper & better by being a totally independent entity, as NHIE will be forever linked to ASHI regardless of what anyone claims.

Why do you say that, the guy said they cut all ties back in 2001. Its a completely neutral, 3rd party organization - not tied to any association.

Thanks, Scott.

I visited the site and find where this group manages many aspects of testing, including safeguarding its security…but I do not see where this group is an entity qualified to determine the psychometric validity of a test.

When is the the last time that an independent agency has evaluated and determined the psychometric validity of the NHIE?

Hi Jim,

What agency do you have in mind?

EBPHI is a member of NOCA and follows their procedures as required. Pearson VUE is the largest testing company in the nation and follows all type of procedures for the verification of their clients exams. The VA approves the NHIE through a process every year for reimbursement for veterans and CLEAR also follows a similar procedure.

I guess that those would qualify as being independent, but I don’t know what agency you have in mind.

I don’t know why Pearson is not listing their psychometric services, but our other psychometric company Castle WorldwideI belive will list some of their accreditation’s.

When the ASHI Board of Directors first paid for and received the first independent psychometric evaluation for the test now known as the NHIE…who did that independent assessment?

When ASHI started the NHIE, that would have been Castle Worldwide. I was not involved with EBPHI at that time, but that is who they used at the start. AMP, PSI, Promisour, Castle and Pearson have all had a hand in the NHIE at sometime.

Pearson does not advertise that it does assessments…but simply manages a test.

Has the test been assessed for psychometric validity since the first assessment made by Castle Worldwide who apparently had an outside agency evaluate the test after they developed it. Their services include “psychometric consulting” but not assessment or validation.

Jim, I think I have already answered you about this.

You can contact Pearson VUE (610.617.5009) and speak with them, this is what they are paid for. The number I listed in for their regulatory services. They will be able to provide you with everything you are looking for.

Every year the test is assessed for it’s validity. Pearson VUE is the company that conducts this for EBPHI, at this time.

Thank you, Scott. I will post what they have to say after I contact them.