Question Of The Week 15 March - It's Time To Play "Wheel Of Fortunate Inspectors"

I thought Baba Looey was cool!

1 Like

That’s a big “N”…“O”! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Jesus, I didn’t have time to even finish reading the title of this thread!
Great job @bhull1!

1 Like

Wow Y’all are killing me!! You’re answering these faster than it takes me to create them!! I really was hoping that #4 would drag it out just a little but OH NOOO Bert just had to know the answer! :cry: :wink:

This weeks winner is Bert Hull! Way to go Bert!! :partying_face: :partying_face:

Here are the answers. Bert went above and even though #4 is not completely answered he deserves it for all the effort!!

Puzzle 1

P1

Answer: Auxiliary Heat Source

Purpose: To provide a back-up heat source for heat pump units when climatic conditions prevent a heat pump unit from providing adequate heat.

Inspecting: Check that an actual auxiliary heat source is available. This is as simple as checking the air handler unit for the presence of gas or markings/conditions that electric heat strips are installed.

Testing:
• At the controlling thermostat set the source to “Auxiliary Heat” or “Emergency Heat” or other marked function for the auxiliary heat.
• Check that heat is being provided to the supply registers.
• Check that the exterior heat pump unit is not operating which should indicate the auxiliary heat equipment is in operation.

Puzzle 2

P2

Answer: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter

Purpose: A device intended to protect against the effects of arcing when an arc fault condition is present.

Inspecting:
• Check the AFCI device for visible signs of damage, overheating, and properly secured in place.
• If located in the service panel check that the AFCI device is properly marked for the area it covers and all areas required to be covered are protected by an AFCI device.

Testing: Use caution and consider not testing these in occupied homes. With today’s plethora of electronic devices you may cause issues with them.
• If the device has on board visible status indicators ensure the device is not currently in a fault condition or has registered a previous fault condition.
• Trip the device using its on board test button.
• Ensure the device is functioning and covering its designated area by testing receptacle outlets, lights, etc. for the branch circuit it is marked as covering.
• Reset the device.
• Check the coverage area to ensure the device did properly reset and branch circuits are functional.

Puzzle 3

P3

Answer: Air Admittance Valve

Purpose: To combat the effects of negative pressure in a plumbing drain system by opening and allowing pressure to be equalized in the drain lines.

Inspecting:
• Ensure the AAV’s are properly located in an accessible area and installed at the proper locations, heights, etc.
• Ensure there are no signs of waste water or other materials around/on the AAV.

Testing: Testing for an AAV is very limited.
• Operate the fixture(s) associated with the AAV to ensure they drain freely and quickly without back-ups or other anomalies.
• Smell the area around the AAV for constant sewer gas escaping indicating an AAV that is not properly closing.

Puzzle 4

P4

Answer: Intersystem Bonding Termination Device

Purpose: A device that provides a means for connecting intersystem bonding conductors for communications systems to the grounding electrode system. This is typically a terminal block located at or near the service entrance equipment/meter.

Inspecting:
• Check to ensure a main bonding wire, typically #6 AWG, is leaving the terminal block and routed either toward the service entrance panel or grounding electrode.
• For those that do remove electrical panel dead front covers view the number of bonding wires present and ensure as best possible they match the number found. For example the following are present; Intersystem Bonding Termination Device, Gas line bonding visible on the gas line, main grounding electrode conductor to the grounding electrode outside, bonding wire for the concrete encased electrode. As a result there should be at least four bond wires present in the service panel and/or there and attached at the grounding electrode.
• Ensure all other communications equipment servicing the home is bonded to the intersystem bonding termination device and not onto meter cans, etc.

Testing: There is really no testing we would perform as Home Inspectors.

Puzzle 5

P5

Answer: Temperature And Pressure Relief Valve

Purpose: To protect against over pressure and over temperature conditions in a tank type water heater.

Inspecting:
• Ensure the valve is installed at the proper location on/in the water heater.
• Ensure the valve has no visible signs of leakage, damage, or deterioration.
• Ensure the discharge pipe is properly sized, of proper materials, properly assembled, is properly routed, and is properly terminated.

Testing:
• Activated the valve for enough time to produce a discharge at the termination point. Ensure you close the valve before the next step.
• View the termination point to ensure it is draining properly.
• Check the TPRV at the water heater to ensure it is not leaking.
• Give the drain line time to empty fully and then check it again later both at the valve and termination point to ensure it is still not dripping which may indicate a failing valve.

2 Likes

Congrats Quick Draw McGraw! :grin:

1 Like

OK all you great Inspectors out there let’s help the newer Inspectors and us Old Dogs learn some new tricks. How about sharing your answers to the inspecting and testing part of these questions? There’s always more than one way to skin a cat and some times you have to change your inspecting/testing procedures depending on site conditions. I’m sure there are more methods out there well worth using and knowing.

3 Likes

CONGRATS to Bert Hull.
Good stuff Bert!

1 Like

…amazing…

1 Like

Really amazing Bert, congratulations.

1 Like

Congratulations Bert! You are smart and fast! :smile:

1 Like

We have a lot of Home Inspector brainiacs out there! Must be all that great INACHI free training for members! :thinking:

1 Like

I agree. That was still an exceptional QOTW Manny. I know I could not have solved it that quick, if at all. LOL

1 Like

Great job Bert!!

1 Like

Good Stuff Bert!
Smart and Quick…always a Deadly Combination :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks guys. When Manny posted the quiz this week I dropped everything else and just worked on the puzzle until I cracked it. I appreciate the kudo’s from everyone.

2 Likes

Congratulations Bert, thanks for your time Manny, good one!

1 Like