Questions about credentials

I wonder if CPI or CMI is certified by ABET(Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
I want to prove technology in my country(KOREA, South).
It is said that ABET certification is required to be possible.
Thank you in advance if anyone can answer.

Kim,
CPI and CMI are certified by Internachi. It is a recognition of passing the standards of our own organization. CPI and CMI are not certified or credentialed or regulated by any organization outside of INTERNACHI.

To get CPI you take the required courses online and take the test and must get a passing score.
To get CMI you get your CPI and inspect a couple hundred houses and then you have an option to purchase the extra certificate, which helps identify experienced inspectors.
This is all internal to INTERNACHI, which owns these certificate designations.

I don’t know the structure of the educational system in South Korea.
In the US we have, in order of rigor:

1. High school Diploma - 12 years of mandatory attendance for kids from around 5 yrs old to about 18 or so.

2. Certificate Program - Certificate courses (such as INTERNACHI’s CPI and CMI) are narrowly focused and explore the actionable skills needed to work in a particular industry. Depending on the type of the certificate, classes may only cover a broad view of essential industry-related topics or practices to ensure you have a working knowledge of the field. More advanced certificate programs dive more deeply into the subject or review more sophisticated methods for the work. In either type of certificate program, however, graduates leave with skills well-developed enough to apply what they’ve learned to your field or, in some cases, expand that base knowledge into an advanced degree later on.

3. Degree Programs - Courses outlined for the completion of degree programs cover far more than the base-level of knowledge required for you to complete your work-related tasks. Degree programs are often interested in producing “well-rounded” students with an understanding of their industry and the world as a whole. To achieve this, degree-granting institutions include “core classes” alongside the major-specific courses required to graduate.
    *Associates degrees (typically 2 years of study)
    *Bachelors degrees (typically 4 years or more of study)
    *Masters degrees (typically 2 years after completion of a bachelors degree)
    *Doctoral degrees (typically 2 or more years after completion of a Masters degree, there are exceptions)

ABET currently only accredits Degree Programs.
https://amspub.abet.org/aps/category-search?disciplines=49

4 Likes

InterNACHI Is Accredited by the U.S. Dept. of Education and Is a Member of NACC of Canada. As for ABET. Bring it up with the founder, Nick Gromicko.

Thank you, Bert. Learnt something new.

2 Likes

Maybe since InterNACHI school is now an .EDU that could be a degreed program?

1 Like