Questions Of The Week January 24

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post.

No editing is allowed and INELIGIBLE members will be disqualified.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.

Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submitting your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet

** Case of books “Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection”

** Free pass to say whatever you want without being flagged for three days

GOOD LUCK!

1. Is the electricity in lightning the same kind that powers my toaster?
    a) yes
    b) no
    c) depends

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Is there anything that can normally survive after being submerged under water for half an hour? (not a rock) :wink:

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Seventy-five percent of all fire deaths were caused by home fires.
Local fire departments responded to 1,353,500 fires in 2021. These fires caused 3,800 civilian deaths, 14,700 civilian injuries and $19.5 billion in property damage.
True or False

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Top crazy things that will stop up your drain are:
give a least five please (not OJ Simpson)

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Inspect this

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
I don’t know who or why

7 Likes

Great questions Marc !!

8 Likes

why not OJ simpson ???..sounds racist to me…

4 Likes

Thanks for doing these, Marc! It is appreciated by many here! :+1:

7 Likes

NAH - HE WEARS BLACK AND WHITE… … …

5 Likes

I stand corrected !

3 Likes

As always, great questions, Marc. :+1: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Great questions.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a go.

1. Lightning is not the same. Static creates lightning, it is not generated.
  2. Many things can survive under water. First thought, alligator/crocodile.
  3. True. I always believe stats because they sound smart.
  4. Five crazy things. Toys, phones, silverware, socks, a whole roll of toilet paper(just ask my grandson)
  5. Inspect this painted/clogged soffit vent which will impede attic ventilation adding more problems to this crappy house.

Don’t know why - Nora Jones

5 Likes
  1. YES
  2. YES
  3. TRUE
  4. Toothbrush, Dog Toys, False Teeth, Snakes, Cell Phone
  5. First picture is a little blurry, but I’ll say boarded over vent & painted vent screen
    EC) Mr. Spaceman, Roger McGuinn
4 Likes
  1. A
  2. Spiders
  3. True
  4. Band Aids, Diapers, Condoms, Dentures, kid toys, Toiletries, Phones, Heavy rains, Feminine products, cotton swabs, Dental floss, hair, and other stringy stuff, Is this enough?
  5. Poorly installed and maintained Soffit venting. Recommend upgrade
    The Byrds Mr. Spaceman R.I.P. David Crosby
4 Likes
  1. A) Yes, a typical lightning bolt contains over 5 billion Joules of energy, which means it could power a 1000 Watt, 2-sliced toaster for 84,000 minutes, and in that time you could make around 100,000 slices of toast.

2. Cockroaches can survive underwater for up to 30 minutes.

3. False (it was $15.9 billion in property damage).

4. Band-aids, dentures, small animals and/or toys, cellphones, and tea leaves/bags.

5. Painted/blocked soffit vents.

“Mr. Spaceman” by The Byrds

6 Likes

Bumpity…bump…bump…

4 Likes

Let’s try…

1. YES
  2. YES
  3. True
  4. Sex Toys (seen it), Feminine Hygiene Products (seen it), New & Used Condoms (seen it), Coffee Grounds, Grease.
  5. Various soffit vents around the home appeared to be clogged. This condition will impact the airflow into the attic space which will lead to damage over time. We recommend a licensed professional further evaluate and make corrections as needed.
  6. Stevie Wonder I don’t know why
4 Likes

Still up for grabs…have at it! :sunglasses:

1 Like

LET’S HEAR IT FOR MR TECHNICAL JR SCOTT FUDGE!
Congrats ~ JR strikes again! :cowboy_hat_face:
He caught me with my little trick on question 3.
On question 2 I was looking for something alive (not a pet rock).
Kudos to Don Guenette ~ Bill Forrest ~ Jim Gilbert for the tricky answers.

1. Is the electricity in lightning the same kind that powers my toaster?
    a) yes
    b) no
    c) depends
    Yes
    Lightning is a very big, very fast burst of electrons, rushing from the clouds to the Earth. Those electrons carry the same electrical energy that powers your toaster, just on a much larger scale. According to National Geographic, a bolt of lightning contains up to one billion volts of electricity. Your toaster, on the other hand, operates at about 100-ish volts
    https://www.oeelectrics.com/7-electrics-questions-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Is there anything that can normally survive after being submerged under water for half an hour? (not a rock)
cockroach ~ spider ~ sloth ~ alligator maybe a whale or two

~~ ~~ ~~ ~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Seventy-five percent of all fire deaths were caused by home fires.
Local fire departments responded to 1,353,500 fires in 2021. These fires caused 3,800 civilian deaths, 14,700 civilian injuries and $19.5 billion in property damage.
True or False
False
$15.9 billion in property damage

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Top crazy things that will stop up your drain are:
give a least five please (not OJ Simpson)
Fruit peels and rinds
Starches (and other fibrous foods)
Grease, oil, and fats
Feminine products and cotton swabs
Wipes and cosmetic towelettes
Kitty litter
Egg shells
Toys
Dental floss, hair, and other stringy stuff

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Inspect this
Painted Over or Blocked Soffit Vents
Continuous soffit/eaves intake venting is the proper location for the intake air, in order to assure that the entire under-side of the roof sheathing is vented and kept dry.
Painted over or blocked soffit intake vents are ineffective in providing good under-roof or attic ventilation causing wet and possibly moldy roof sheathing on those roof sections where no venting is provided.
Proper attic ventilation in your home is important for many reasons. During the warmer months, heat builds up in your attic during the day and results in higher energy costs for cooling the home. Also, moisture within the home may move into the attic and if this moisture is not properly or effectively removed, it can condense and cause insulation and construction materials to deteriorate. Thus, temperature and moisture control are the major reasons for providing attic ventilation.
Attic ventilation is critical to the performance of the roof and attic structure. A properly ventilated attic will help building materials last longer and help protect the home from costly damage.
**recommend either cleaning-clearing/removing paint (if possible) or replacement

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
I don’t know who or why
The Byrds - Mr Spaceman ~ R.I.P. David Crosby

4 Likes

Thanks, Marc! I’d like to give it back to the QOTW. Do 2 prizes on the next one. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Congratulation JR! Way to go!..again…

5 Likes

AOK sir!
We’ll have to figure out who “#2” is if only one winner!
Perhaps I’ll PM you to decide. This way I don’t get blamed :innocent:

3 Likes

Notice the link says 2012, NOT 2021 ~ typo!
JR told me… . …

2 Likes