Rafter Modification

Hey Guys-

This was on a 100+ year-old house with original 2x4 rafters. As a means to provide additional support for the rafters, it appears they’ve attached another 2x4 directly under the rafter on edge and then nailed OSB on each side to hold it all together. It kind of looks like an attempt to create an after-the-fact laminated beam. Seems to me like they are actually making it worse by adding more weight for the original rafter to support. Any of you seen this method used before?

never see this before myself… seems like a decent pitch… wonder why somebody felt it was necessary…

This is a homemade flitch beam. I have done this a few times and its stronger than it looks. Good fix if you do it right. You can straighten and stabilize.

Looks good to me.

This is a homemade variation of a flitch beam. I have done this a few times and its stronger than it looks. Good fix if you do it right. You can straighten and stabilize.

Looks good to me.

Looks good to me.

I suspect is is fine… just wondering why anybody felt necessary.

No clues I could see in photos. Unless they put heavier roof covering on or did something to suggest the existing support may not be sufficient.

does the roof have multiple layers?

Can’t tell if they added another member to the underside of the existing rafter(s) in which case, what is it bearing on? I also don’t see any evidence of glue squeezing out from the joints.
A flitch plate would commonly be a metal plate sandwiched in between two wood members then through-bolted. I suppose it’ll do… Musta been a reason?

Metal plate is standard for a flitch beam but plywood/ osb will do a similar job. When I did this I jacked and straightened and then did the plywood. I used glue and 6p box nails but my fixes were jobsite repairs and not code required. I think this looks professionally done and I’m guessing it was to straighten and strengthen. I appreciate this type of “meatball” carpentry, fast, cheap, does the job.

Makes sense if some deflection in rafters.

Just point out that structural modifications have occurred and that such work requires a permit and you don’t endorse work done by unlicensed contractors without the benefit of permits. CYA.

How do you know it requires a permit?
I didn’t realize we endorse or not, is this a common practice for home inspectors?
How do you know the contractor wasn’t licensed?

I think this is a minor modification that likely is doing more good than not. I can see noting this but certainly not going beyond that, speculation isn’t what we do is it?

I speculate that it is serving the intended purpose as well… I personally would have used a structural 1/2" plywood rather than 3/4" OSB and screw shank glued gun nails with construction adhesive.
Now that’s a fix!

No, just a single layer of architectural shingles and from the exterior the roof looked pretty straight.

That was my concern as it didn’t appear that the modifications were supported from underneath and instead just attached to the bottom the existing rafters.

No problem.

does not seem to worry me.