Raised Foundation

First of all there is no information on the age of this home on the local property appraiser site. I have no idea of the actual age. It appears from the joist for the framing and in the attic that it is probably around 1940’s. The home was completely stripped and renovated… well, almost. What do you think about these wonderful support columns? No hurricane strapping, no termite shields.






I am assuming I should recommend a structural engineer or foundation contractor to evaluate?

No footing and improper placment of concrete blocks. Yes it’s time for a SE.
Hey Harry when do you go get lunch?:smiley:

Usually lunch time. Sorry Bruce I had to do it. I’ll give you a call this week and maybe we can get together. Have a good weekend.

No need for a structural enginner, and no need for additional “evaluation.” This is simply a hack-job that needs to be repaired by a qualified contractor.

You got that right Jeff, and a Hack-job is an understatement of those conditions.

For the right price, I could go down and repair it!!!:mrgreen:;):slight_smile:

But tell me, if **one **joist needs a support in the middle, wouldn’t all the joists which are parallel to the one? If the blocks had been turned the right way, would anyone have noticed? =)

A serious question though: how is a contractor going to determine footing sizes required, or where supports are needed or not needed? The rare one will have the ability and knowledge…90% at least will not. I know, because they call me all the time with joist and beam questions.

First question= yes

Second question, you are partially right Richard.

Most Contractors won’t.

The key word in Jeff’s post, I believe is “Qualified” Most Constractors I meet are not qualified to do this type of work unless supervised by an Architect and drawings.

Some Contractural Firms have SE’s in house or the qualifications to do that themselves, of course strictly on the residential side.

Some Contractors employ the services of Architects or SE’s on an advice basis only.

The problem here is that this job is a hack job and needs to be reported accordingly.

There is nothing totally wrong in referring to a Licensed Qualified Building Contractor for something like this.

I for one, would not have a problem with this, but under the hat of an HI, I would most likely deferr it to a Qualified Contractor and/or SE.

Hopefully you understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks for you input Richard. It is valuable to all of us. :):smiley:

Most foundation contractors in CA do - well, at least the QUALIFIED ones do :wink:

Same here Jeff as most foundations here are engineered in the first place. :smiley:

Brian, you call the slabs in Arizona a foundation? I need to show you real foundations then. :mrgreen::wink:

I appreciate the input. I recommended a structural engineer evaluate the foundation to determine the repairs that are necessary. You know I hate when this happens. The clients are a young couple, they fine the perfect little renovated home in their minds. I go through the whole inspection finding only minor issues. Then I crawl under the home. BAM!

I get some agents that ask why I did not look under there first and I say,

Well, lets see, I have to check all the plumbing up here first so leaks will show up down there and lets see, I do the dirty part last, so, well, just because thats the way its done and besides I have to stay up here for awhile to hear all the lies you are telling my client LOL!. Its just great to be an independent inspector.

That’s exactly right Bruce. LOL!:stuck_out_tongue:



I believe the last sunken foundation I watched going in Marcel was on a 1.1 Billion Dollar Semiconductor Plant Expansion. :D;):cool: But I mostly did the QC/QA on the piping/ducting and mechanical. Not too worried about moving dirt and pouring concrete.