How would you call it?

I see this all to often here. Dry stacked blocks that don’t appear to be set on any type of solid surface. Screw type jacks that are set on nothing but wood laying in the dirt. Just wondering what recommendations you all would give to your clients?





[FONT=Verdana]Advise that a qualified foundation contractor, who utilizes the services of the appropriate licensed engineer to design repairs, be contacted to determine the cost estimates of needed repairs prior to closing, the best repair methods, and to perform any repairs deemed necessary. As none of the currently installed support piers appear to be performing their intend function. I would also advise on the removal of all unused construction materials and debris from the crawlspace.[/FONT]

What Barry said.

Without a doubt. . .

Run, and don’t look back :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or, what the other said



Damm that’s good Barry. :smiley:

I’d start with a match, then call a qualified GC to start over…Huh

Piers / Columns

  • Inadequate Piers…
  • Recommend structural review with replacement…

Curious: What was the age of the home?? I see crawl spaces like this on 60+ year old homes… gotta love the attempt at repairs through the years… :roll: PLUS hoping that rusty nail doesn’t puncture you while your crawling through the debris field. :shock:


The house is about 57 yrs. I could not access every part of the crawlspace due to mold and all of the nails sticking up everywhere. Every turn I made it seems like something was either growing or stabbing me.

The first pic looks like one I posted a couple of weeks ago. The joists looks like they are sitting on a board attached to the bottom of the beam. I wrote it up as an unconventional framing method.

“A portion of the floor structure was supported by various make-shift piers. Those floor supports exhibit poor workmanship are thought to be inadequate to provide permanent support to the floors. It is recommended that a competent and licensed general contractor or foundation specialist be consulted to provide a further evaluation of the adequacy of the floor supports and make necessary repairs.”