Reporting Methods

How extensive are you in your IAQ report?
Are any of you willing to email me a sample of your report for a standard mold inspection (bioaerosol and direct fungal sampling)?
I’ll show you mine if you show me yours;)

Currently, I compile an extensive report listing everything that was done and to what standards they were performed. I give findings and recommendations. Then, I include EMSL’s expanded fungal report.

I can’t help but feel that I’m giving waaaay too much data and information than is needed for the initial assessment. My reports are normally 15 to 20 pages. That’s not even the protocol.

More is always better than not enough. Sounds like you are right there. It really depends on the job and the scope and size of it for me.

Florida Statute: 61-31.701 - Minimum Standards and Practices for Mold Assessors

(1) The purpose of a mold assessment is to determine the sources, locations, and extent of mold growth in a building and to determine the condition(s) that caused the mold growth.

(3) A visual inspection to identify the presence of visible mold and/or excessive, unplanned moisture intrusion (past and present).

(a) A visual inspection should include all surfaces inside the building, hidden areas where moisture sources may be present, such as but not limited to, crawl spaces, attics, and behind vinyl wallpaper, baseboards, carpets, and wallboard wherever possible.

(b) Specific indicators to note during the visual assessment include, but are not limited to the following:

1. Suspect mold growth;
  2. Musty odor;
  3. Moisture damage; and
  4. Damp building materials and/or conditions.

Mold Inspection (assessment) Report
(5) An assessor shall prepare a Mold Assessment Report (MAR), to include a Mold
Remediation Protocol (MRP), that is specific to each remediation project and provide the MRP to the client before the remediation begins.

we use one or two pages from the lab (depends # of samples)
we had to add the clearance requirements to our reports

NORMI now has final “Standard of Practice” for mold assessors posted on their site.

Florida / this part should be interesting
61-31.602 Disciplinary Guidelines. Effective 1-30-2014

(g) Violation of:
Section 468.842(1)(g), F.S.
Engaging in fraud, deceit,** negligence, incompetence **or misconduct in the practice of mold assessment or remediation services.
Fine up to $5000; Plus Reprimand, Probation, Suspension, or Revocation.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61-31

It sounds like you are doing okay…but I would need to see a sample report. A mold report can vary across the country…

What?
Florida has developed rules for reports. Florida mold assessors must follow them. “Real” mold inspectors across the country include everything Florida requires or should. They don’t include all the clutter sent from the labs.
It’s simple what is needed in your report.
You can pretend to do a mold inspection but it’s harder to fake the report. We have several inspectors in our area trying to copy our reports but the they fall short because they can’t or won’t do the inspection.

If you don’t include the required info in a Florida report, you will have a problem sooner or later.

I give similar information as above with added sections for some remediation protocols according to EACO Mold Abatement Guidelines as I am starting to do a lot of work closely tied to remediation companies who really like to see this in the IAQ reports. Remember that a lot of the times when you find issues people will need to get them remediated by professionals who will be asking you questions on how to do so or what steps to begin with, so if you put them in the report you’re helping everyone out.

EACO wrote a good mold abatement guide. Most mold publications I do not care for. This one is pretty easy read.