Reroof

Thanks Mike. I am 24. I havent had any such messages yet :). It’s a rancher with like. 3/12 roof. Ill be ok:)

Oh you will, you will.

I know I will one day. Whats the yoda reference for

The scene when Luke said he was not afraid, Yoda said “Oh you will be you will be”

Oh. Haha. What a dork

Piece of cake, at least for me, and I’m a little older than 24. :mrgreen:

I have always said I shingle one roof a year to remind my body why I am not a roofer. Last year I hurt for a week. My house needs to be shingled and I am still contemplating doing it my self. My only saving grace is that most of my friends are carpenters as well and will lend a hand.

I’ve done my fair share in my younger days and I still do it when needed.

I don’t mind so much put it on (when weather permits), just not a fan of taken it off; actually I prefer to pay others for the tear off.:smiley:

Oh man, Mike L.,
Thats funny! and true.

Gary that’s a good idea. It has two layers and I am dreading taking it off. How much will it cost to get it taken off?

Now you sound like a client and not an inspector.:smiley:

That began in post #1. :neutral:

With two (2) layers it could cost anywhere between $75 to $125 per square, it all depends on who and what qualification they have.

Just to remove it? Forget it. Ill do it myself

Removal is dirty and back breaking, and if you don’t have a dump truck/trailer then you have to handle it twice (removing then dumping). Removal doesn’t mean just peeling it up, if the shingles are old a brittle it makes for more fun. Also with a tear off it usually includes cleaning / prepping before applying new felt. Juan you’re young enough maybe you should give it a go but hire someone with some experience to assist.

You need a big trailer and Here there is dump fees to get rid of the old shingles .

Juan, don’t forget to protect the roof from rain between tear off and install. :wink:

Here in Va you can just rent a large dumpster. They drop it off and pick it up for a couple hundred bucks. Thanks Larry. Its about 16 squares. I think I can get it done in one day but if not I will at least get the roof felt on and finish it the next day

By yourself most likely not, but with a couple extra hands this could be easily completed in a day (tear off that is). Another key point is having your shingles delivered and stacked on the roof for you (after new felt applied), but be present so bundle of shingles are not dropped on roof sheeting, but placed. Sometimes they have a tendency to toss them around and can cause damage to sheeting and or trusses. But defiantly worth the money.

I had a new roof installed and the Roofer ( a very close friend ) said there is better products then felt now .He said what he used if they got caught short no worry it will not leak . He now tells me there are even better products out now .
Something to think about .