Roofing 101 Amazing

This home constructed in 1921 was recently renovated. The roofing work is hard to believe, someone actually was paid for this work. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

broadship 047.JPG

broadship 059.JPG

broadship 061.JPG

broadship 140.JPG

broadship 056.JPG

broadship 061.JPG

broadship 061.JPG

Cut a few corners didn’t they. What a joke. We just got hit with golf ball size hail yesterday in many areas. Here come the travelers.

Nice pics, but what was your report language?

I would be curious too, how to describe a screwed up short cut mess as this. :):wink:

[FONT=Arial][size=2]Roofing shingles are very poorly installed which indicates roof installation by non licensed contractors. The defects include layering over existing roofing which is not recommended. Shingles not continued to the intersecting vertical walls. Wall flashing was not replaced. Kick out flashings should also be installed to divert water flow to the gutters. Ridge cap shingles are cracked. Refer to a licensed roofing contractor for repairs, which may involve roofing replacement.[/size][/FONT]

Same house, rear flat roof.

broadship 133.JPG

broadship 135.JPG

broadship 143.JPG

broadship 135.JPG

Pretty good John, considering all the screw ups.
I would bet it stays like that til the next sale of the house. ;):slight_smile:

Where do they find these roofers for kris sake:)?

OK ,Thanks for posting that as I am sure I’m not the only one that likes to see how others comment.Beats OH MY ,What were they thinking,and that’s a laugher type comments.

Good post John, I just realized you are just up the road from me a little bit.:cool:

Jim

I’m thinking you missed more than that, John. Were those shingles installed using the racking method? Because I think that would be a problem for the shingles shown and judging from the breaks… it’s a possibility.
Also, was the sidewall step-flashed? I can’t tell what’s going on with that. What’s the deal with the wierd continuous joint about 3 inches out from the wall?

Kenton, what is the racking method?
I’ve never heard that term used before

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Projects/Lead-Image/FH00OCT_SHINGL_01.JPG :slight_smile:

Are you sure the roofer was non licensed? We have all seen roofs installed in a substandard manner by licensed roofers.

Good shot Marcel.

With the racking method joints align every other course.

The racking method is required for a few models of shingles, but I don’t think any 3-tab. It’s “allowed but not preferred” by others and a defective installation for quite a few. I think it’s a defective installation for most 3-tab.

Racking was required for the shingles in this first photo. The roof prop shows where joints would be for racked (yellow) and conventional (red) installations

I agree Kenton, I am old fashion and still carry 3-4 rows left to right.
With three tab, I use the double line vertical up the roof and work left to right. That keeps the vertical alignment of the tabs like they should be, but I am not a production or piece worker either. :slight_smile:

I see, a 6 inch stagger. Defiantly not recommended for three tab.

I would not recommend it either Peter.
This “single column” method is approved for applying some types of Certain Teed shingles. However, “double column” vertical racking (in which two shingles are laid side by side up the roof) is Not recommended because it can result in unattractive patterns.

It is very important to fasten the ends of the shingles properly. Nailing high or leaving nails out can result in an unattractive rack-line pattern. :slight_smile:

Marcel that type of roofing is constant with a roofer ( and they are not roofers. they are shingler’s in Quebec when I started my trade a couple of years ago… ) That drive with no name on there truck, give a low estimate to avoid the cost it would take to do it correctly. They do ot tell the client that they need extra venting or insulation in the attic. they avoid drip edge and all the extra material and man hours needed to do a proper job.
1# extra man hours
2# extra materials.
You can re roof as long as there is only 1 ply or roof down and as long as the decking and structure will hold the extra weight.
Your starter has to be cut back along with first shingle to mach up with the upper shingles but-end or bottom end.
You have to cut every course as you go up sometimes to match-up with the upper shingles bottom.You end up without that extra level or line effect showing on the roof when you complete the job. The roof looks like it is one layer of shingles…
All old flashing, valleys and all metal must be replaced. It must be stripped and it a long process of chalk-line and cutting to accept the new roof.
Worth it? No.
Have I done them, yes.

That picture you posted Robert is what they call nesting the shingles on a double layer.
Recommended install on an old layer of roof covering and very seldom done correctly.
I always recommend that they strip down the roof to the sheathing and done properly.
:slight_smile: