Residential receptacle height

Originally Posted By: Kevin Blackwell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have look for the code in NEC for Receptacle/Outlet height for residential

garage is there a code?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

K Blackwell,

Try the NEC 210.52

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

No, the NEC does not tell us the height for dwelling unit garage outlets.

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: rwills

Bob, Thanks for clearing that up, I searched the NEC also and found nothing regarding garage receptacle height however, there is a test practice question on the NACHI site that claims garage receptacle height is a minimum of 40" above floor, doesn’t state who claims that though!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: roconnor

There is debate among codes officials if a receptacle is a “source of ignition” under the IRC that then needs to be 18" above a garage floor. Some require that, which I don’t agree with as a code requirement for residential garages … but I still think it’s a good idea. I don’t think that is in the NEC. Also, additional restrictions apply to commercial garages.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Hi Robert. The 18" provision you speak of is indeed a a misinterpratation. The mechanical code and mechanical section of the IRC both state taht “appliances having a source of ignition” shall be 18" AFF. Appliance is a defined term in both texts, and suffice it to say that a receptacle outlet is not an appliance.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Hi Robert. The 18" provision you speak of is indeed a a misinterpratation.

I agree, and was just giving the other side of the coin. Some officials take that and apply general duty clauses in local codes to interpret that all ignition sources must be above 18". The thinking is that it's not the intent of the code to restrict one ignition source, and not another ... so it's simply an oversight that garage receptacles are not also required to be at least 18" AFF.

I see the point to a certain degree and it may be a good idea for added safety, but I just don't agree it's a code requirement. Then again, there is some truth to the old saying that the "code" is not what is written in the book ... the "code" is what the local building official says is written in the book ... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ... so maybe I should say I don't think it's a requirement of the model codes ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong