Residential Service Panel Location

Originally Posted By: Kevin Blackwell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When dose the grandfather rule come in affect if you inspect an older built

property and discover the house was built with the primary breaker panel

in the closet could someone please explain how this works?

Thx Kevin from Houston.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

It would be “grandfathered” if it was permitted (or more correctly, not restricted) at the time the house/panel was built.

You would have to research your local codes or call the local building official to find out what codes were in effect when the house/panel was built. Then go to those codes and look at what the provisions are.

IMHO, it is still a "safety concern" even if grandfathered. Not usually a huge deal, but definitely something to point out.

Just my 2-nickles

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: igompertz

TREC requires that you call this out as in need of repair.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

That rule was first added to the 1981 NEC, and if that equipment was added too, or worked on after the rule became effective it could be a good reason to cite it and have it relocated. Check the local permit files.

I live in a building where unit panelboards are in clothes closets. So be it, say nothing and keep out of trouble.

If you are asked to give an opinion tell them to make sure the closet doesn't contain excessive storage.

I will bet there are 1000's of them in closets around the country that are never accessed. One way to discover if new circuits have been added is to take a look at the directory, if any, to see if the new circuits were added, that too is likely never to happen especially when most installations are bootlegged anyway, meaning no permit or benefit of inspection by the local AHJ.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

See if they have codified NFPA 73.

I know of no one that has.

Mike P.