Responding to a Price Shopper

Just received an email from someone with only one question…price.
Nothing about testimonials,reports,how I operate ,how long it takes,how long I have been doing it …but simply price.

Below is the email and my response.

Hi Bob,

I found you through the internet, and I am writing to get a an idea quote from you. I am a first-time home buyer buying a condo. It is a three bedroom and two bathroom apartment, which is about 1000-1300 square feet. The building has four units.

*I am not a discount store .
Home Inspection is my full time job.

If looking for a cheap Inspector you will get what you pay for and may be better off not getting one rather than risking your life savings to save $25-$50 on a cut rate inspection.
My clients get the best service and report possible with lots of detail and knowledge included.
The average rate on my fees for such a unit is in the $275.00-$300.00 range and takes 2-3 hours.
However good luck with your search. *

Have not punched the send button yet so please tell me if I am just in a bad mood or appropriate…thanks.

Bob. Sounds good IMO, other than the first line “I am not a discount store.”

“If the lowest price is your primary concern for the protection of your investment, I am most likely not who you are looking to hire. I would be happy to explain the difference between my inspection and those who inspect at wholesale prices.”

A bit softer maybe :wink:

Bob, I like the way Troy said it. :slight_smile:

OK thanks Troy.
Will consider that but wait for a couple more responses to decide.

The guy most likely sent his email to more than just myself.

Well…,I am not but perhaps that is the angry part.

I had something abrasive like that on my website. Someone emailed me and told me that considering the title of my company it was not appropriate and that if I really cared about family I would do them cheaper. They were full of **** but I did realize that being abrasive like that is not the way to go. I tried, I failed and I learned. I think you are as frustrated as I was when I put it on my website. I would say respond with something more like Troys. Just my two cents.

I would never send a response like that.

Never assume they are price shoppers looking for the lowest price. A clue is he stated he is a first time home buyer. He may have no idea what questions to ask, so he asked the only question he knows… how much?

Respond with your own questions. Start a conversation with him. Make him feel like he is important to you and your business. Price is the last thing I ever talk about, and then rarely in the first email. Let him answer your questions first.

Note: doing this makes it easier to charge a higher fee, as you made it personal, and it is no longer just about price.

Bob,
If you are a professional then answer as one.

In my opinion I don’t think your response is professional. You can still tell him the same thing but in a different way.

Dave

Okay, see I am out voted here.
Going back to look at the draft.

May need to respond like I do on the phone as non confrontational.
The name is Chinese so he may not feel comfortable on the phone and I have many Chinese clients.

Great answer!

Just based on you posting the draft tells me that you didn’t want to send that out.
:slight_smile:

I agree and just copied the sentence to paste in.
Will for sure tell you guys of further communication.

“If the lowest price is your primary concern for the protection of your investment, I am most likely not who you are looking to hire. I would be happy to explain the difference between my inspection and those who inspect at wholesale prices.”

The average rate on my fees for such a unit is in the $250-$275.00 range and takes 2-3 hours.

Look forward to helping…Bob Elliott

SENT

(just woke up from a nap when I saw it)…lol

Or is it you don’t feel comfortable speaking to the Chinese on the phone?

Assuming an exact quote… he speaks better English than most who post on this MB!

I think the rest of your response is professional. IMO it was only the first line that kind of sounds like you’re pissed.

I never have a hard time speaking with Asian investors as I grew up with a Japanese family and understand the formality .

I agree.

Yes always better to stay professional with a smile…(note to self)…never respond when crabby.